Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #1

What color is transmission fluid?

Hi,

I have a 2000 Boxster 2.7 with manual transmission.
Lately it developed a leak that I haven't been able to diagnose (I'm not really sure what's leaking)
Every morning I see a yellow-ish wet spot (water like) in front of driver side wheel, it's not too much 20 drops or so..
Also every time I put in reverse and drive I get a cloud of white smoke coming from under driver's side wheel (like something is leaking onto exhaust)
Under the car I have fluid on left side of fuel filter and on hose that goes near spark plugs. It looks like it's coming from the top of the engine.
I changed spark plug tubes and rings, so it's not that, I'm not loosing any coolant or oil...
Since it's leaking heavily when I park in reverse I think it;s transmission fluid leaking, what color is porsche tranny fluid for manual transmssion?

Thanks
Sasha

Last edited by sasha055; 10-07-2010 at 09:45 PM.
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:34 AM   #2

Transmission lube is a heavy, thick, smelly, and dark oil. It's definitely not yellow and watery. I'm guessing you have a slow cooling system leak. Maybe it pools somewhere, and when you back up it runs down and onto your exhaust? Time to pull the engine cover.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #3

sounds like power steering. could be that when you're backing up, you're also dialing in a lot of steering at a slow speed & this generates pressure & a leak. there is a power steering line that runs down from the reservoir to a tube under the car. it's on the driver's side, just in front of the wheel. it runs VERY close to the exhaust manifolds....

is your car manual or tip? i severely doubt your tranny is leaking.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

Is there a way to check power steering fluid level? (probably should be in the book)

Thanks god it's not transmission It's definately not coolant, I had a bad coolant can and I remember the smell of coolant.. you cannt forget that smell. It looks like oil (I have syntec 10w40 which is also yellow) but it's more wattery.

Does anyone have a diagram of power steering line from under the car?

Thanks
Sasha
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #5

the power steering fluid is Pentosin; it looks just like motor oil.

check it while the car is hot. open the engine bay cover & you'll see a little black reservoir on the driver's side. open the cap & check the level.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #6

It is power steering... I put the car on ramps and turn steering wheel.. it was spraying all over.

it's leaking from metal clamp in the middle of the hose..
How can I replace it? it seems that the clamp is pressed in there.. and I don't see any easy way to get it out (except cutting the hose on both sides).

What should I replace it with? all pressure clamps that I see for sale are narrow..

Do I need two clamps and a hose in the middle? how do I clamp hose one to another.. is there a metal tube in the middle?

Thanks
Sasha