Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2005, 05:27 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus Send a message via MSN to Shortbus Send a message via Yahoo to Shortbus
Talking Porsche RTS

Hi guys and gals,

just recently I got my Roof Transport System so I can finally haul my mtn bike to the trails. With the little documentation there is on the net about the RTS I thought i'd share some pics of it installed on my Boxster. Hope you guys enjoy. Skylers' install guides online were a tremendous help in getting it set up correctly. The Porsche instruction are (are they often are) confusing... The RTS is a bit pricey but it really works great.

Christian - :dance:

Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:07 AM   #2

Very Impressive Gizmo

Does the rear bar slide out so the roof can operate or do you have to dismantle and erect every time you use it? Looks very, very expensive and well made. Congratulations!
Old 05-06-2005, 06:23 AM   #3

it looks great!!! but it does look expensive.....can you proviude us with some pricing..??
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:27 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Pricing would be great as I have not been kayaking since buying my Boxster for the roof rack reason alone.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:32 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus Send a message via MSN to Shortbus Send a message via Yahoo to Shortbus
hi guys thanks for the comments. The RTS alone (as can be seen in my 1st 2 pics) lists at almost 900 bucks. Then you need to get the Porsche bike carrier, in my case lists at around 200 something... Or kayak carrier etc. This is because the RTS has a proprietary mounting system for bike/cayak/etc holders. I found this out AFTER i ordered my RTS and had to order the Porsche bike carrier instead of a Thule i was planning to... The prices I gave are list price, or what your (my) dealer would ask for one. I didn't buy mine from the dealer. Call SUNSET Porsche and get the hook up. I can not say enough good things about SUNSET Porsche. I got all of my setup including shipping from the West Coast to the East Coast for around 720 bucks. It's worth every penny for me, like you said my biking days were almost over since i got my Boxster until i decided to shell out the $ for an RTS. They are very solid.

The cross bars do unscrew from the arches (and kind of needs to be done to mount/unmount the whole thing) but even with that done you can't operate the top with the arches as they litterally hug the roof. You need to take it off to get the top up and down. I noticed mountin a bike with the top down = TONS of mud in your car. Bad idea

Last edited by Shortbus; 05-06-2005 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:38 AM   #6

Also, its not as loud as ppl have said it is. Of course i didnt really go over 60mph with it on, but again with a bike sitting on top of your roof it's never a good idea to be speeding along.... :chicken:
Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 AM   #7

That's one of the craziest things I've ever seen. It looks like your front grills are starting to fade though. Same thing happened on my Boxster, if you take them out and have them resprayed black it will look 10x better.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
That's one of the craziest things I've ever seen. It looks like your front grills are starting to fade though. Same thing happened on my Boxster, if you take them out and have them resprayed black it will look 10x better.

I saw a black Cayenne Turbo in some magazine with the grills painted white. That thing looked AWESOME.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus
I saw a black Cayenne Turbo in some magazine with the grills painted white. That thing looked AWESOME.
Yeah, I was thinking about painting mine silver but wasn't sure how it would look...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:40 AM   #10

Mine have greyed so badly they almost look silver. I think it'd look pretty good but if I was gonna paint them I'd do black.

You have to remove the bumper cover to get them out don't you?
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:06 AM   #11

Remember those kids in junior high that had to wear "head gear" to correct overbite or underbite problems?

Sorry, but the pictures remind me of that poor kid who got teased so much... I gotta say that if Boxsters had feelings, yours would be feeling very much like a social outcast—a geeky kid forced to wear "head gear" to school!

On the other hand, it is a very nice looking setup and I can see how bikers would love to have this car AND a way to get their bike to a trail.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:33 AM   #12

I don't know, I personally think the RTS on my Boxster looks way better than a SUV with a bike racked on top of it. I always wonder how the heck you can hike a bike that high up and attach it without a ladder. The RTS makes it a breeze AND looks better than any SUV roof rack I know of... :dance:
Old 05-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #13
Lux

Sweet! Shows you how versatile the Boxster is.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 06:15 AM   #14

Talking

I have seen guys out here with a surfboard up top. Looks wierd but in some ways, looks cool.

Good luck with that. Stay on the main road though. You Box is no SUV!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance:

Last edited by Brucelee; 05-09-2005 at 05:59 AM.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:19 AM   #15

Thanks for the comments

I really do get a lot of looks hauling the bike. I even had a Audi A4 conv. owner ask me if they made one for his car.

Hehe, Boxsters do great off road and rock crawling!! Just kidding

Actually did any of you see the (oldish) video review of 4x4s where they took 2 carrera 4 (early 996s) lifted them 2 inches each, slapped on alls seasons and took them to mild off roading against Ford F150s and other SUVs??? The 911s SHINED. I wish i had taped that when they aired it... So now imagine an AWD boxster...

:dance:
Old 05-09-2005, 06:01 AM   #16

Talking

"So now imagine an AWD boxster"

Indeed. One wonders if the handling would be improved (hard to believe) or not, given the AWD technology.

On a 911, I understand it helps to compensate for the rear heaviness.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote