Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Valentine One users (esp in Ohio) - Computer modes

Recently picked up a slightly used Valentine 1 detector (eBay). It's one of the newer ones, with "Pop" mode detection and all the other bells and whistles. Seems to be working well, though I've been surprised how few radar traps I've run across since getting it. (When I did, it sure let me know they were there!) It does go off all the time, however, as other V1 users will attest. Automatic door openers, security systems, etc...all kinds of stuff will get its attention.

Which brings me to my question: Of those of you out there with Valentines, how many of you use, or have used, the "Logic" and/or the "Advance Logic" modes to filter out the distractions that don't represent true 'bogeys'? And, if you have, what do you think? My question is basically this: Do you feel the detector does a good job in these modes, or do you think you put yourself at risk by not using the "All" mode?

A related question for those members who live in Ohio (like me). What kind of radar is used around here? My positive bogeys have all been Ka mode. I have read (see http://veilguy.blogspot.com/2009/01/x-band-police-radar-reports-of-its.html ) that X Band radar (which seems to be on the wane for speed detection, as far as I can tell) IS still used some in Ohio. Have you found this to be the case? What modes have you come across in Ohio, and where? State troopers or local law enforcement?

I should add that I am not a crazy fast driver. I drive according to conditions but, like many others, often find myself slipping into the 15-20 MPH over the speed limit at times. It's just so easy to do in these cars, again, where conditions safely permit. I AM a safe driver---please, no one bother trying to convince me otherwise. Any such judgments will fall on deaf ears! I'm looking only for opinions of others that have Valentine One experience that they'd be willing to share with me.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #2

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
i'd rather get a few false positives than take a chance on maybe missing a real cop...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 AM   #3

Talking I use all 3 modes...

but it depends on the area I am in. The "A" mode goes off all the time but of course there is no filtering involved. I use this mode when I am in an area that I am unfamiliar with, I'll put up with some 'falsing' to be on the safe side.

If I am in an area that has a ton of burglar alarms, microwaves, garage door openers etc. then I put it on one of the logic settings.

I have 2 Valentine Ones and love them, they have never let me down no matter what setting I have them on. They have both paid for themselves many times over.

The first thing I did when I got my 2011 Boxster home was hard-wire in the Valentine One! I feel naked driving without it.

Can't comment on what's being used in Ohio but I bet if you call Valentine One the will be able to tell you.

Cheers,

Tinsby

J Tinsby is offline   Reply With Quote