Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #1

Question Car not starting

I put the key in the ignition, all electronics function properly, but car won't start.
It seems like it may be the clutch or a sensor at the clutch thats malfunctioning.
I hear a clicking noise whenever I step on clutch.
Checked fuses and they seem to be fine. It doesnt seem to be the key's codification since the electronics turn on and it opens the doors.

Anything else I should try?

BTW: this is a 99 boxster.

vigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #2

Get in the footwell...

... disconnect the two wires that plug into the clutch interphase microswitch and connect them together.
Now try the ignition again.
If you still have the problem I would then replace the ignition switch.
Instructions here: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 09-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
... disconnect the two wires that plug into the clutch interphase microswitch and connect them together.
Instructions here: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Where do I find the clutch interpgase microswitch?

Thanks for the quick response!

Nevermind. Found this thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/13249-boxster-clutch-interlock-switch/

Will try this and see if it works.

Last edited by vigor; 09-28-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Tried that and didn't work.

The ignition switch seems to be turning fine. Would it still be a good idea to replace it? What else could it be?

Last edited by vigor; 09-29-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #5

Boxster seem to have a poor ignition switch. Do what Pedro suggested

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #6

Took the car to a porsche certified shop and they told me the immobilizer was bad (Was wet). Also said the car was throwing up alarm codes. Going to have to wait til the immobilizer comes in then get someone to reprogram it for me. Hopefully that's the only culprit.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #7

Ouch!

in the mean time though, you need to find out WHY the immobilizer got wet. Unless you left the car or window open during a downpour, you need to find out why there is water under the driver's seat to begin with. Most likely culprit are clogged drains in the soft top reservoir or a tear in the cavity's apron.

Detials on Drain Cleaning Here from Mike Focke's Boxster Page

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #8

Thanks for the response guys....

So I took the car to a porsche shop today where the could actually program the immobilizer. The one I purchased online was from another porsche which could not be programmed. Had to buy a brand new one for $391 + the $109 programming fee. They still could not turn the car on. No fault codes were showing up as well.

They stated that its the starter relay and starter. Decided to take it with me and try to mess with it on my own. When I got back I tried to push start it, but it still won't turn on.

Now I'm thinking it's not the starter, but that the immobilizer is still not programmed correctly.

One thing they did do was make the remote function with the new immobilizer, which was not working before.

So what do you guys think? Could they have not programmed the unit correctly or what? Feel a bit disappointed.