Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 04:45 AM   #1

O2 sensor check

Hi folks,

I have replaced my O2 sensors, however I want to check that they are working as seems the car srunning a little rich. Ca someone please give me simple instructions on how to test that they are working please?

Many thanks,

Paul

Paul Whyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #2

do you have a scan tool ?
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #3

Yes i do,
However I am guessing the figures i receive are from the ECU and not directly from the O2 sensor.

I have included a photo of the results.

I only have 2 O2 sensors on my model, precat sensors, later models had an additional 2 after the cat.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #4

if your scan tool has a "02 cross counts" look for a changing number ,this means its going above and below .450 mv. ....or you can monitor the 02 data while you give the motor a small vac. leak. with the system hot and idling in closed loop .450 mv is what its trying to maintain...so expect the numbers to move around [depends on the tools sample rate] ...a lab scope is better but DONT EVEN DREAM ABOUT BACK PROBING THE 02 WIRES. quickly press and release the gas pedal and look for high mv,next if you can safely go WOT for a few seconds look for .900/950 mv while on the highway at say 5000 rpm upward. OR if the check engine light isnt on dont do anything ....they are working
Old 09-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #5

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I shall try testing it over 5k rpm as you suggested.

My car seems to idle a little fast at times, especially when i come to a stop (say at traffic lights) after a high rpm run.

It is also running a little rich apparantly which is causing the high emission levels during my recent test,

I was told this may be the sensors, however I am not receiving any error codes. I had holes in the exhaust but these are fixed. The high-ish reving ad idle seems to be a little worse since these have been repaired, Any other ideas? I have checked airfilter and shall replace the sparkplugs soon through matter of course, I assumed the O2 sensors may be to blame, as fuel economy seems a little low, averaging around 32 miles/gallon. Is this normal?

The car is running fine though, starts fine and is causing me no real problems except a slightly high idle, generally 1k rpm, sometimes it revs up to 1.5rpm and then drops again. It makes the car infront think I am getting impatient

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.
Paul.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #6

check your throttle body and idle air controll valve for coking [crud]. if it failed a smog test i would think it will force a CEL . an exhaust leak can fool the 02 sensors making them think the car is lean so they richen the mix. look at injector on time [mil/sec] ....you will need normal specs to compare
Old 09-28-2010, 06:04 AM   #7

Thanks again for the info,

Much appreciated. Will see what I can find.

Next big job is replacing the starter motor, as it is noisy on startup, clogging up on the benedics, I have a replacement and plan on reconditioning the old one to sell on ebay I shall check the throttle body and idle air control valve as you say.

Cheers
Paul.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #8

ive read people remove the starter,lube it and put it back in
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #9

Yup, I have instructions on how to dismantle and lube the starter, its the same starter motor as a VW apparantly. However I bought a cheap one on Ebay, that way I can do a direct replacement, and it doesn't matter too much if I drop a spring or screw down the back of the cooker while I am reconditioning it, I can still get to work the next morning haha.