Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #1

Winter Tires TPMS

I have 17" wheels/tires on my 2010 boxster, and I am looking at 18" winter tires for the winter.

Can I simply replace my current 17" tires and rims with 18" tires and rims? Or does it need anything else to support 18" tires?

Also I am thinking about not spending the extra money for the TPMS sensors in the winter tires. Minus the warning indicator being displayed all the time is there anything else that I should be aware of like constant warning sounds or other that may sway my decision to skip putting the TPMS on the winter tires.

Thanks

Tim

I apologize in advance for the simple question.

hrtattak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #2

Some answers to your questions but first a question...

Why 18" snows when you have 17" summers? The lower the profile of the tire, the typically "worse" they are/can be under adverse conditions. What'd be more appropriate would be to wear down your 17" tires, replace them w/ winters and then get a new 18" (or 19") wheel pkg w/ summer tires and sensors. Plus, you'll have an easier time finding snows in 17" dia than 18" (and cheaper).

Anywho....
Yes, you can simply unbolt your existing wheel/tire combo and install the winter pkg. No special tools needed other than the key for the locking wheel bolts.

No real adverse issue w/ running w/o the TPMS sensors other than the constant ((!)) on the dash - though you may occasionally get an error message. Probably just on each start up which you can clear. Shouldn't come back but the ((!)) light will remain. I'm not sure how it is on the 9x7.2s but you may be able to reset the TPMS warning to 0lbs thru the PCM while you have the winter tires on. Check your manual for settings...

That being said, sensors, when bought as a set w/ rims/tires, usually aren't all that expensive (if you're getting the entire pkg from someplace like Tirerack.com).

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #3

My Box came with 19's and I kept the 18" snows from my previous 01S. I too debated about getting the sensors but decided to do so. Who wants a dash light constantly on in a new car?

Checked the price of a set of sensors from TireRack and compared the price to OEMs from Sunset or Suncoast (can't remember which). There wasn't much difference and I didn't want to chance TR's not working, so I purchased the OEMs.

When I put the snows on, the TPMS senses a difference in size and asks if these are my winter 18's. I say yes and it reprograms for them. Simple and sweet - no dash light constantly staring at me.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote