Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #1

Interest in One-Touch Convertible button?

EDIT: http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27797

Last edited by Highlow; 02-11-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #2

I bought a "homemade" relay that attaches to the factory switch (tucked away behind the trim bezel) years back from a forum seller. Works great to this day and I think I paid $60 or $75 for it. Funny part is, I still stop it to do the chop, so is it really worth it?

Added: It is nice for putting the top up...one touch and done, instead of holding button down.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 09-17-2010 at 05:14 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #3

For those of us stuck doing the chop, which is the vast majority of 986 owners, one position wouldn't be of value. Now two position I might be interested in...
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland
For those of us stuck doing the chop, which is the vast majority of 986 owners, one position wouldn't be of value. Now two position I might be interested in...
So to open the top you would want to press it once, have it stop half way, chop, press again for full tuck? And for putting it back up you would want a one touch?

How much would you pay for that?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #5

Join this UK Boxster forum

and read this message on how to mod the relay yourself for full SmartTop functionality.

Link
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #6

Garage
I have the SmartTop and the one touch function is the ****************. The cool factor is the ability to drop or raise on the fly...up to 25 mph. Perfect for leaving a parking lot or pulling into parking and not having to sit there waiting for the top to finish doing it "thing".
Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #7

I have the smarttop as well and don't know why that wasn't standard, although it's only half the convenience for people who need to do the chop thing.

The only caution to it is you don't want to have the top move up/down while you're driving over uneven surface (ie. bumps)... apparently it could break or damage the top mechanism.

Last edited by ekam; 09-16-2010 at 10:11 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

It takes 12 seconds for the top to go up or down, I don't see the point. Convince me.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies guys!! It's really helping the start up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
It takes 12 seconds for the top to go up or down, I don't see the point. Convince me.
It's more of a personal thing. Some people are annoyed with having to sit there and wait the 12-16 seconds and not be able to do other set up procedures (iPod setup, A/C, seat-belt, etc.).

If it doesn't bother you to sit there and wait the 15 seconds with your arm stretched out and not being able to get the other pre-take off stuff done, then this product might not be of your interest.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Ditto!

Also a caveat. With the one-touch relays, if there is a problem with the top frame or such, you can easily bend frame members or the clamshell and do $eriou$ damage before you can stop the motor from running. This is one of the major reasons I have never been a fan of these.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Ditto!

Also a caveat. With the one-touch relays, if there is a problem with the top frame or such, you can easily bend frame members or the clamshell and do $eriou$ damage before you can stop the motor from running. This is one of the major reasons I have never been a fan of these.

Cheers!
With the smarttop if you press the button again it will stop it.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #12

I've had the Smarttop for over a year now and love it. Bought mine used off eBay for less than 150. If you hunt online, you can get a good deal on one.

Just remember that when the window is cold, you have to chop it...I use a towel given to me by the original owner...But on a hot sunny day, once the window warms up, I do not hesitate to drop it without stopping to do the infamous "chop"...

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #13

I have a SmartTop

and use the "while moving slowly" feature all the time. Almost never use the one-touch as I need to do the chop due to the fitting of my top. I guess I use it when putting the top up on a hot day when it starts raining or just gets too hot and I pull up to a stop light and don't know how long the light is. Nice to be able to pull out and not hear the honking horns behind as the top closes the last 6 inches.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #14

I would definitely use it... I have glass, so no need for the plastic chop, and while it's not a huge issue, it is an inconvenience to have to hold the button for the 12 or so seconds... Compared to all of the cool gadgetry in the more modern cars that I've been driving, such as the touch-open entry on the BMW and Lexus that doesn't require even using the remote fob or keys to unlock the doors (just unlocks or locks when you touch the handle, so long as your remote fob is in your pocket or vicinity), and push-botton ignition without having to reach for your keys, it makes small things like having to hold your arms stretched out and holding the convertible top button down for 12 seconds seem antiquated...

Please let me know if you are designing a cheaper alternative to the smarttop..

Thanks!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Okay,

The idea behind this is to do it on the run, that by the way is the only time you can use the one touch feature is to be moving at the time to active it-fwd or rev. If you’re stopped you have to hold the activation switch down (safety I guess). You also don't have to have the emergency brake engaged because it overrides this safety feature.

So let’s recap; No more E-brake, no more being stopped, no more holding down the button.

BTW, if you do have a bind in your top and you continue to activate the switch the first thing that will brake is the plastic socket of the ball & socket of the drive motor arm. It's made that way too protect the rest of the mechanism and they cost about a $50 for one arm...less at a salvage yard and easy to replace. I know because I’ve done it twice. Once because my wife didn’t unlock the top all the way and the second because neither did I.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 09-16-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #16

Thanks a TON for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
I would definitely use it... I have glass, so no need for the plastic chop, and while it's not a huge issue, it is an inconvenience to have to hold the button for the 12 or so seconds... Compared to all of the cool gadgetry in the more modern cars that I've been driving, such as the touch-open entry on the BMW and Lexus that doesn't require even using the remote fob or keys to unlock the doors (just unlocks or locks when you touch the handle, so long as your remote fob is in your pocket or vicinity), and push-botton ignition without having to reach for your keys, it makes small things like having to hold your arms stretched out and holding the convertible top button down for 12 seconds seem antiquated...

Please let me know if you are designing a cheaper alternative to the smarttop..

Thanks!
I love the way you phrased that. I will most certainly let you know if I start selling this product!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlow
Thanks a TON for the responses!

I love the way you phrased that. I will most certainly let you know if I start selling this product!
That's great news... Very much looking forward to this!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:19 AM   #18

Just remember that when the window is cold, you have to chop it...I use a towel given to me by the original owner...But on a hot sunny day, once the window warms up, I do not hesitate to drop it without stopping to do the infamous "chop"...

First, I'd be very cautious putting the top down when cold with a plastic window (can you say "crack"). Second, even when warm, the plastic window will crease at times if not chopped, giving you a nice pinch in the plastic. My top/window is 8 years old and in almost perfect condition, though this is not a daily driver.

The one touch is a nice convenience, if offered for a reasonable price.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #19

I've got the Bahntech Autotop. Half the price of the Smarttop. Works great - love it. Cost is $160 shipped, which I think is still a bit expensive. I think if a product like this could be $99 shipped, that you would sell a ton.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by demick
I've got the Bahntech Autotop. Half the price of the Smarttop. Works great - love it. Cost is $160 shipped, which I think is still a bit expensive. I think if a product like this could be $99 shipped, that you would sell a ton.
Thanks for your response. Is there anything that you would change about that product?