Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Just saying Hi!

Just stopped by to say Hello to all!

I peruse the forum from time-to-time, lots of new owners... lots of old questions (USE SEARCH PEOPLE!)

Been busy with my 2002 and with our LED taillight conversion biz.

Also found some time to feed my OCD... last month flew into Chapel Hill (Raleigh-Durham) to pick up my new driver - 1990 BMW 325is.

One-owner, <80k mi. car with all the tasteful options and mods (lowered, Bilsteins, Polys, Strut Braces, Camber plates). It's really one of the nicest relatively unmolested E30s out there and I had a ball driving it the 1600 mi. home - drives like it's almost new.

Still a Porschephile w/ my 964, but it's been busy sleeping the past several months. I did think I heard it stir last week, but as it was -10 degrees, I'm sure I was just dreaming.

Anyway, Hi to Randall, JTP, Jaxonalden, schnellman, jmatta, BruceLee, eightsandaces, ddb, ekam and all the ‘Old Guard’.

Keep the Faith and Happy Boxstering!

Attached Images

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
lots of old questions (USE SEARCH PEOPLE!)
I was going to reply with greetings and comments but I took your advice and did a search first. Turns out someone already made similar comments, so what's the point. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I like your new ride. I had a 3 that was very similar. Great car! Too bad the new 1 series is way heavier that the old 3.
baxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Hi Lil B,

Nice looking Bimmer! The 964 is going to get jealous when it wakes up from its winter nap and finds itself surrounded by two BMW's.

Enjoy!

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
LB, Wow look at all that glass . The interior looks great. "lots of new owners" = very good thing = traffic on forum

DDB Nice to see another Charlotte person, sunday looks good! Just warm up the plastic window a little before opening and tear up some dried up salt
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Whip,

Yep, Saturday looks nice and Sunday even better. I hope the snow prediction for tomorrow doesn't pan out (although they seem rather certain). Regardless, all of the bridges are already coated with the brine solution and we will need rain to wash it and any salt/slag away.

No matter how tempting, I resist the urge to remove my hardtop during the winter for a nice day. It makes spring that much more exciting!

BTW, your seats came out great!

ddb

Last edited by ddb; 02-09-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Add last sentence.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #6

Lil B's German sports car Car museum, now what are the hours again?

As Don Henley once sang, Nice car, I love those Bavarians, so meticulous.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 02-10-2011 at 01:01 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #7

Always liked the 2002.

Good luck with the rig!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #8

Howdy LB! The Bimmer looks nice...I had a '93 3 series and always enjoyed the car. Not much Boxster action going on around here lately; we've got over 2' of snow on the ground and this morning's temp is -7 degrees.

I'll be really glad when winter is over.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #9

Hey LB!

I hope you're enjoying the bimmer and looking forward to being able to play with the "real toy!"

I'm looking forward to end of March when Wifey and I head for Texas Hill Country.
It's been a long time, I hope I can go run some of the roads I used to run with my 914s.
We went north two years ago, on her spring break, but won't do that again. The weather in VA was miserable the entire week.

Randy said to tell you Hi when I ran into you again.
He just bought one of the last air cooled 911s. I can't keep track of the numbers any more. 993?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
JTP

Lil' B! I love your taste in cars, your 964, your previous pristine Boxster, and your new BMW. My cousin had an E30 M3, one of the best BMWs I've ever driven. Enjoy your new ride and good to hear from you again.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #11

@Quickurt

Hey there! Tell Randy I say Hi as well and Thanks again for being so accommodating on my breeze through Macon last summer. Only wish I was closer to do more biz with him. I have however recommeded his shop to several guys in his area.

My E30 was owned by a PHD'd professor of Bio-medical engineering at UNC Chapel Hill. This guy also ran several div. of Major Pharma. Cos. in the past, and has patented 20 medical devices - couple bucks there. He is also a big vintage racer of BMW 2002's and has his own Race Team - Skidmark Racing. He bought the car new and then moved to France for 10 yrs, driving the car only when he made trips back to NC (explains the low mileage). He also had his chief mechanic do all the maintenance on the car. Honestly, it's one of the top 3 best driving cars I've ever owned (and that's a fairly long list). It has had extensive suspension mods and is still so tight that it feels like a new car.

I still haven't forgotten about hooking up on one of my trips to Jacksonville, I owe you one for steering me to Randy!

The Hill Country is great! Spent some time up in Bandara - some great BBQ and great roads there!

@JTP,

Thanks! I have had a long list of cars and hope to make it longer before my time is through!

The E30 is an incredible bargain right now. Yea, the M3's are pricey, but you can cam or chip an M20 to the same power level as the S14 for <$200. And the M3 is similar to the S2K in that the motor doesn't really come on Cam until around 4k RPM, so for daily driving, you're constantly wringing it's neck. The M20 is a good around town motor but can still mix it up in the nether reaches of the tach. The M3 suspension is better out-of-the-box, but lots of good stuff available for the 325 that can match it - bilsteins, H&Rs, Poly, etc.

The 'IS' variant is really a nice pkg. and maybe even better than the M3 in many ways. Cheaper parts and greater availability. Standard equip. includes a close ratio 5-spd., LSD, Sport Recarros, power sunroof, windows, AC and Cruise. Plus it is actually more rare than the M3 - only 8k built. It has a great reputation for being bulletproof so long as you keep the timing belt service up to date and swap the waterpump ($50) when you do the belt service (it has to come off anyway). Being a '90's car, rust isn't much more of an issue than it is with the Boxster.

The car is so light and compact that you really feel a part of it. And good examples can easily be had for <$5k (mine was way less, but I met the owner previously through the 2002 community). When I approached the CFO about the car and told her the price, she just laughed and asked why I'd feel the need to discuss such a low price - to just go out and get it. She loves it.

It is getting harder to find clean unmolested ones, but they're out there, just more legwork to find them. Lots of former Jap Tuner guys seem to graduate to these cars and drop M50 motors and Turbos into them. Imho, ruins the balance of the car.

The Boxster is a great handling car, no question. But, it seems so much larger than the E30 (or my 964 for that matter).

Cheers!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-12-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote