Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #1

front trunk access after battery removed

Yes I have searched! Just looking for the best method of opening the front trunk with no battery installed....as after storage to get the battery back in.

I want to avoid the towing eye hack......and having trouble locating the cable to pull on my 2000 S

Is there an electrical method one the door is open with out screwing up the window.....can one power the car via cigarette lighter using a battery maintainer or????

jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #2

There should be a pull cable either behind the fuel door, or in the pass side door jam. I can't remember which now.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:51 AM   #3

There is a positive terminal in the fuse box for this very reason. Simply attach the positive of your power pack to this connection, the negative to your door latch and you have power.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #4

Try doing what Gary recommends. While I haven't done that before, it sounds much easier than digging around for the hidden cable.

I did do the cable technique once (not being aware of the fuse box approach) and took a couple pics of where it was located. If you still want to go that route, PM me and I'll send them to you.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #5

Which MY's

Does anyone know which model years have the fuse box connection for powering up the Box?
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #6

I only know mine does.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz
There should be a pull cable either behind the fuel door, or in the pass side door jam. I can't remember which now.
Do not confuse the hood cable with the little black pull in the passenger door jamb. That's for the fuel door if the lock actuator is kaput. It's very thin and flimsy and breaks easily. (Ask me how I know )
Old 09-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #8

Thanks all.......................I dont believe the 2000 has the postive terminal in the fuse box so one is limited to the cig lighter. I will have a look again.

I would like some pics for the cable.....you can PM them to me so that the badies dont see them too!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Thanks all.......................I dont believe the 2000 has the postive terminal in the fuse box so one is limited to the cig lighter. I will have a look again.

I would like some pics for the cable.....you can PM them to me so that the badies dont see them too!

I tried...your mailbox is FULL.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #10

Thanks emptying in 5mins
Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
Does anyone know which model years have the fuse box connection for powering up the Box?

It was after 2000, which is the year of the original poster's car. So this isn't an option in this case. I don't think they implemented the fuse box connection until 2002, but that's just a guess.

I also don't think the lighter plug charger is going to work if the battery is completely removed. There has to be a circuit for the power to work at all. With the battery removed I believe the circuit will be interrupted and there is no way to get power into the car without access to the front trunk. You can always test it and try it with the battery removed and before closing the front trunk.

One suggestion - remove the portion of the latch mechanism on the front hood (two 10mm bolts). Then you can close the hood to keep critters out, but it won't be physically locked. I would only do this if the car were stored in my own garage or storage locker though as the car will not be secure.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #12

great idea...............I am in condo so I dont have my own garage though
Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #13

pwr hood latch with battery removed cig lighter?

Has anyone powered the door latches via the cigarette lighter socket with battery removed?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Has anyone powered the door latches via the cigarette lighter socket with battery removed?
yes, I think people have but you have a '00 which has manual levers to open the trunks so it's a different issue. Yours has a slide plate under the levers which is locking you out. See this thread for easy solution...

Just Follow the Directions in This Post

FWIW, w/o a battery installed, do you know where/if the cables might be touching each other or the body? I'd be hesitant to apply any power w/o knowing......

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 09-21-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #15

Thanks..........yes I would ensure that the terminal are far apart......my main concern was whether power through the lighter socket would do it.

I have looked for the slide plate in the past and did not find it to be obvious. It may be that I have to lock the car with the door open to see it....if this is possible. I will have a another look
Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #16

I've only seen the power thru the cig lighter work on cars that have electric switches. Again yours, as an '00, has mechanical levers... The white is tough to see but you need to use a flashlight and look under the front hood lever ~ 60 degrees. It's there.

Anyhow, here's a possible compromise for you...

Why not route the cable to the tow hook for storage, then re-route it back behind the headlight when not in storage? To find it easily for routing down, just pop the passenger side headlight out (using the 5mm tool in the tool kit) and then feed it down to the tow hook before removing battery for storage. Then when storage is over, just pop the headlight module again and feed the wire back up there.

Just a thought and good luck
Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #17

Excellent idea!!!.......saves me wrenching the window out the frame again

If it is that easy to slide out the head light module (no adjustment??) and stuff the emergency pull section/link into the tow hook hole...slide the module(lithtronics)....I will do this for insurance!

Is it really that easy??? I seem to remember a grievous procedure involving removal of the front bumper to complete the towing hole hack???

Last edited by jaykay; 09-23-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #18

yes and no....

Yes, it's much easier to re-route w/ the bumper cover off, but no it is no necessary to do it. Use a straightened dry cleaner shirt hanger fed thru the tow hook hole and fish it up to the headlight module cavity. Tie a 3 foot string to the end loop of the emergency release cable. Then, hook the loop of the emergency release cable (and tape it) to the end of the hanger and pull it down to the tow hook hole. Leave the end of the string tucked into the headlight module. In the spring after you reinstall the battery, just pull the string and the emergency cable back up and tuck behind the headlight.