Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #1

Any good mechanics in texas?

My car has recently been smoking like a chimney at startup, more
than 100 percent sure its the aos that needs to be replaced. Anybody know
any reliable mechanics in the texas region that are familiar with Porsches?
Really dont feel like wasting a couple thousand at the stealership, since my business
has been slow rite now.

toolfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Texas is a pretty big region what major city are you near? Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston or El Paso?
In Austin, check out European Auto Imports on the corner of Braker and Burnett.
In Dallas area try European Auto Tech in Plano. I just picked up my 02 986 about an hour ago from them. 105k mile service (oil, oil filter, cabin filter, air filter, and thorough inspection) new starter, new water pump, new brake pads front and back, new sway bar links left and right, and alignment. $2708.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #3

The closest i can think of would be near the san antonio or austin region, which is roughly about a 2-2 1/2 hour drive.Today i ordered the aos for my car for about $104
online.The targa porsche workshop in austin quoted me at $108 for the part and $315 for labor, anybody know how much labor cost is going for to replace the aos?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #4

David Moore of Moorespeed in Austin does great work. He rebuilt the engine/transmission in our 1966 911 and it's amazing. He has also done work on the Boxster.

There is another show in Austin called TPWS. I've heard good things as well.

Here are a couple of links.

http://moorespeed.com/

http://www.tpwsinc.com/

SB

Last edited by Scbrindley; 09-17-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Scbrindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #5

I appreciate your guys help,thanks for the info :dance:
Old 09-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
I initially took my car to Targa Porsche Workshop in Austin. They did pretty good work on my car and fitted my Robbins top. They told me at one point that my clutch and flywheel would need to be replaced within six months. Here it is 50K miles later and I'm still on that same clutch with no issues. It makes me a little leery of them. I'd go to European Auto Imports. They did great work for me on multiple occasions. Plus TPW's facility is pretty booty. That place looks like it should be condemned. I know I know, its the work that counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan94
The closest i can think of would be near the san antonio or austin region, which is roughly about a 2-2 1/2 hour drive.Today i ordered the aos for my car for about $104
online.The targa porsche workshop in austin quoted me at $108 for the part and $315 for labor, anybody know how much labor cost is going for to replace the aos?

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote