Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #1

help with my new boxter please

I Bought a 2000 boxter 65k
looks awsome but whin u get up to 65 mph its got this strange wind noies around the wind shield its not a whistle but almost a a sharp whistle probly going to the dealer but u know what they wil do $$$$$$$$$$ any ideals any one ever herd of this

boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #2

Nope, but it could be anything from what you're saying here. Never heard a similar noise while driving mine. If you just bought it, they should address any issue like this for free, IMO.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Lux

Could be a multitude of things. Wind going over the side view mirrors, a slight air leak from the windows, or even what kind of front end you have on the car.

I sometimes hear a low air turbulence sound (similiar to someone blowing in a bottle) when driving freeway speeds. But this only happens on certain windy days and is very infrequent. Funny thing is, I noticed it after I had my GT3 bumper installed but since I didn't have the original bumper on for long I'm not sure it wouldn't have made the same noise.

My suggestion would be to get the dealer to let you test drive another Boxster that's similiar to yours and see if it makes the same noise.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #4

If the windshield has ever been replaced, it could be that the installer didn't do a very good job of putting the gasket back in place.
If the seal isn't positioned properly it can catch the air and cause whistling, humming, etc., at different speeds.
This happened to me on another car, not my Boxster.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:24 AM   #5

Cool

My 01 Boxster makes a whistling sound at speeds over about 50mph. I just ignore it, and it dosen't really bother me...
Phil Buxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #6

Phil: If I had a bunch of ladies whistling at me from their Hondas I'd BE bother'd - in a nice kinda way.

....mmmmm - no whistles on mine. That, or my wife's 'jes not telling me?!

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #7

That explains it!!
Phil Buxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:43 AM   #8

Wind Noise

The sound is likely coming from the front edge of your hood. It must be adjusted below (I think 1/8") the front bumper cover. If it is even or above it you will hear the air moving over it at higher speeds.
Rich in CT
savinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Lux

Rich,

Good point. That is one of the main reasons for the whistling sound. Matter of fact, I did adjust the front down a little a while ago. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I haven't heard any noises lately.

-

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote