Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #1

Front License Plate Bracket

So...I bought the front license plate kit, and I have a dumb question...

It came with the expansion spacers (little white squares that insert into the holes), and the black spacers...

The black spacers also seem to have the expansion spacers that fit into the holes in the front bumper. Do I just use the black spacers, or will they not tighten properly and fall off?

Damn Ohio front license plate law...

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #2

IIRC, The black spacers plug into the bumper cover.

On mine they didn't expand enough to make a snug fit and the plate was loose, and could be pulled off with slight force. I wasn't comfortable with the prospect of loosing the plate and ended up ditching the holder and mounting the plate directly to the bumper.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Pat

I just used the black blocks. Seems good to me.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #4

FWIW, I've had my Box for just over 4 years now and have never had a front tag on it...and I've never been pulled over for it. I have gotten pulled for a speed limit infraction but, even then, the guy did not write me up on the lack of a front tag. (In fact, he didn't even mention it.)

I don't live in Cleveland (closer to Akron), so I don't know if they are more inclined to enforce it up there or not. But, I've certainly been in Cleveland many times and, again, I've never been stopped because of having no front tag.

In fact, after maybe a year of driving the Boxster sans front tag, I decided to pull the front tag off my DD (a '96 Camry). So I've been driving it that way as well. Again, I've had no issues with law enforcement with that car either.

I just don't think they much enforce it. The one argument against going without it? If they ever felt like pulling you over for the heck of it, they could use that as a justification to stop you. Just hasn't happened to me...so far! That's fortunate, because I hate the look of the Box with a front tag.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Pat

FWIW, a friend of mine lives in Denver. He got three tickets in three days for no front plate. Totally depends where you are.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #6

Hi, I used some GOOP around the spacers, let them set for 24 hours and then install plate frame and license plate.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
kpm

I keep my front plate attached to the bracket behind the seats. If I get stopped I just pull out the plate and bracket and tell the cop some jackass just backed into me in a parking lot and took off.

When I was at the PCA corral at NJMP, there were a lot of cars with the front plate attached to a aluminum plate. The plate was attached to the car through the tow hook access opening. Really a nice set up.

Does anyone know where these can be found?

Last edited by kpm; 08-31-2010 at 10:47 AM.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM   #8

http://www.moweraxle.com/licenseplatebrackets/porschetowhookkits.html

good writeup on rennlist:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/586032-front-license-plate-holder-on-tow-hook-install-review.html

earlier this year ( march ) i was driving to dallas and stopped in nashville overnight. when i came out the boxster was covered in bird crap from tip to tail. took it to one of those carwashes with the high pressure wash. ( it was sunday morn so nothing else was available ) the spray knocked the plate out. i've never put it back in and so far no issues ( KNOCK ON WOOD ) and even went ahead and plugged up the hole with the bumperplugs. looks so much better without a plate.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 08-31-2010 at 11:44 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #9

I currently have a tow hook license plate holder for sale in the classifieds. Add it when you want it, remove it when you don't.

Add some bumperplugs to cover the oem holes and Bob's your Uncle!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
JTP

I was thinking of removing my front plate but some jerk backed into my car before I had a chance. The front plate and bracket took the force of impact and saved my bumper from any damage. The plate shows the imprint of a reciever hitch.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I currently have a tow hook license plate holder for sale in the classifieds. Add it when you want it, remove it when you don't.

Cheers!
I knew I saw one for sale on here. I'll let you know this evening.

edit: I check the classifieds and could not find the ad. Could you PM me the details ??

Thanks

Last edited by kpm; 09-01-2010 at 10:02 AM.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
cfb

Private Messages Full Please Clear Some Space

Your private messages are full. Please clear some space so purchases can be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard

Cheers!
cfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #13

although I drive mine infrequent, I've had no front plate for the last 8 years and we have the same law mandating a front plate. I've followed many a black&white and have yet to be hasseled. I figure as long as the box is clean and looks good they know it's not just someone loking for annoniminity at red light camera intersections but someone who is a responsible owner/driver proud of their car. And should the day come when I get a citation I'll go pay the $50.
Ken

SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote