Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
986President

Are Tracks Ever Open to Public?

Is it common practice for a local track to have days or time open to the public? Has anyone ever done this or can I get some advice on how to figure this out? Would I need some kind of training or special equipment added to my car?

Old 04-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to ntmatter
Generally, tracks will have some sort of lapping or club day that you can participate in. There usually is a requirement that you've taken some sort of high-speed driving class, some tracks require that you take their class. If you haven't taken a performance driving class I strongly recommend them - you'll learn just how little you know about driving.

In terms of preparation, for a novice-level class you'll need a well-maintained car with plenty of tire and brake pad left, nothing loose, fluids in good shape, etc. Some classes (even novice classes) require a convertible to have either a proper roll bar or hardtop - your Boxster "sport hoops" may not be sufficient. For open lapping, there's no way the Boxster hoops will be accepted.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:21 AM   #3

Prez,
join your local Porsche Club of America (PCA) each club has a Track Chairman who will happily talk your ear off about the subject. The first thing is you will need is to pass a broom stick test. Git in yer Boxster put on yer hardhat and have your buddy hold a broom stick over your head to see if the stick can rest on the windshield on one end and the roll bar on the other end. If your helmet touches the broom stick at all you'll have to buy the Boxster roll bar extension $600 or swap out the seat for a lower driving position. Every track requires passing a broomstick test. And that's just the first thing you need to consider. I would consider doint some Autocross first. THese events always have instructors who will teach you some fundamentals for the price of entering the event. Allot of the same principles taught in very expensive entry level schools. Get used to the car cornering and accelerating, hard braking etc. and then look into a High Performance driving school. You'll have more confidence going into the school if you have done a year's worth of Autocross. Jim Russell also wrote a book called "Principles of Driving" which is used at the Skip Barber schools. A very voluminous read with every question you could possibly have answered and explained.

SCCA and NASA also have track events across the country.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-28-2005 at 07:27 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote