Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #1

Where is the light switch for the rear luggage compartment light ?

Please can you tell me where the switch is for the rear luggage compartment ?
I thought it was the spring loaded cylinder next to the latch on the underside of the lid .However when I press and hold this in,the light stays on. Surely it is not on timer as there is no point, or is this item just for the alarm ?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #2

I have also now checked the front luggage compartment light switch and I cant get that one to switch off either ? I believe that one is in the latch mechanism ? Surely these lights should go off as soon as the lids are closed ,with no timer. How do we know they are switching off at all, as you cant see in there once closed. The safe option must be take the bulbs out ??
Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
JTP

Put a video camera on record in the trunk then close it. You'll have your proof!
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #4

it could be timed with the interior lights, as in, when you shut the lid, it stays on for a short duration. +1 for the video camera to determine if and when it shuts off.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #5

the age old question.....does the light stay on when you close the door to the fridge.\ ? i looked on an 09 cay i dont see any switch but i think its there
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #6

The light switch for the front truck is located within the latch mechanism (a funky rotary setup) and I believe the same holds true for the rear trunk. The lights are timed to extinguish after 30 minutes or so. No peeking!
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #7

Why don't you just have a trusted friend close you in the trunk and then you can see for yourself! (I don't have a friend that I trust that much)
Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Newby
The light switch for the front truck is located within the latch mechanism (a funky rotary setup) and I believe the same holds true for the rear trunk. The lights are timed to extinguish after 30 minutes or so. No peeking!
What would be the point of a delay on the light going out ? Are the carpets scared of the dark ??? !!! aint buyin a video camera to film my trunk lid for 30 minutes! ,BUT ,no-one has come with anything better and no one seems to know the answer to my problem..... not even Batman !!!! HA HA HA

Last edited by loxleyboxter; 08-18-2010 at 01:24 PM.
loxleyboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Why don't you just have a trusted friend close you in the trunk and then you can see for yourself! (I don't have a friend that I trust that much)
Thanks for all your help , this website really benefits from people like you, I see from your pictures you have a trusted friend, Batman. How is Robin these days ?
There should be a law to stop people doing that to a Porsche

Last edited by loxleyboxter; 08-18-2010 at 01:21 PM.
loxleyboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice
it could be timed with the interior lights, as in, when you shut the lid, it stays on for a short duration. +1 for the video camera to determine if and when it shuts off.
Thanks for your input Tnoice Lovin the look of your Boxster too Niiice
Old 08-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #11

Hey Lox - you do know the Batmoboxster is a photoshop job done for the purpose of making a funny avatar, right? You're not thinking my car actually looks like that..... seriously, you were?

Here's the original photo:

Or maybe this is the photoshopped pic and the Batmoboxster is for real!!

Ok, here's my shot at a serious answer, because I once wondered the same thing myself. Park the car in a dark place and put the frunk down on first latch and you'll be able to see when the light goes out through the crack and, strangely enough, yes it is on a timer.

Or pop out a headlight, close the frunk, and you'll be able to see through the hole for the release tool.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #12

Mark so sorry , I thought ................... anyway , Thanks for that idea ,I am having probs with my ABS and PSM Lights coming on together.I have been advised it is the alternator / battery, so I had a thought that if these 2 trunk lights aint goin out this would be draining my battery. Having the battery checked tomorrow. Will have a go at your idea. Is the first latch enough to knock off the light ?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #13

It was on my car
Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxleyboxter
Please can you tell me where the switch is for the rear luggage compartment ?
I thought it was the spring loaded cylinder next to the latch on the underside of the lid .However when I press and hold this in,the light stays on. Surely it is not on timer as there is no point, or is this item just for the alarm ?

I would recommend removing the light bulb in front and rear trunks and see what happens with your battery.

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote