Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

Water pump going @ 30K???

our '03 boxster type s JUST had the IMS bearing replaced with the LN engineering piece, and somehow the shop claims another noise we're hearing is the water pump.

car has a little over 30K, driven in So Cal, barely driven up until lately..before it sat for long periods of time because it was a weekend vehicle.

we didn't hear the water pump noise it seems until AFTER the shop replaced the IMS bearing

anyone else's water pump dying prematurely?

EVOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
"sat for long periods of time" can cause early water pump/bearing failure.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
"sat for long periods of time" can cause early water pump/bearing failure.
+1.

And add to that the fact that your car is now 7 yrs old ("getting on in years"). I've read more a few posts on this forum about cars in the ~50k range with pumps going bad. Thankfully replacement isn't that involved or costly, esp. if it's DIY. I'm not highly skilled and was able to do it pretty easily.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
kls

About two years ago the water pump on my '04 with about 30K went out, so I know for sure it can happen.
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOL
anyone else's water pump dying prematurely?

All the time................. I see no reason the IMS replacement should impact the water pump, and the pumps do fail rather erratically..............
Old 08-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billthomas
I never do major surgery when it's not needed - such as the IMSR garbage. You just set yourself up for more problems. (IMO)
Problem is that the “announcement” that you need to replace the IMS typically comes along with the bill for an entire new engine……….
Old 08-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Problem is that the “announcement” that you need to replace the IMS typically comes along with the bill for an entire new engine……….

exactly. we figured paying 2,500 bucks was better than paying 15,000 bucks lol...since we are past the factory warranty. sound we were hearing (before we changed the IMS bearing out) was a clunking sound almost like someone left a small shoe in the dryer...or at least comparable to that.

okay so i'm gonna need..

-water pump
-water pump gasket
-serpentine belt
-porsche coolant?

anyone have a link to a good DIY guide for the water pump? again, this is an on '03 boxster. i don't wanna fork over the 1050 the shop is asking for to replace it.

Last edited by EVOL; 08-16-2010 at 08:44 PM.
EVOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 AM   #8

SEARCH is your friend.

It's an easy job, but a Bentley manual is good to have laying around as a reference.
The best $62.97 you'll ever spend on your Box.

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Boxster-Service-Manual-1997-2004/dp/0837613337

Last edited by gschotland; 08-18-2010 at 10:35 PM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I think it can make sense to do the IMS retrofit if you have to replace the clutch. Since you have it apart already, it's adding only like $600 for the upgraded bolt while they're in there. I'm kinda in the same thought though that you don't fix what's not broke, as anytime you start disassembling things, there's a possibility that you might do some other damage.

My car's gone 9 yrs and 64k miles without experiencing an IMS failure, so I'm not about to take it apart now when everythings fine so far. If I need a new clutch later, I may do the retrofit. If the engine imploded prior to me needing a new clutch, in my estimation, I already got my money's worth of enjoyment from the car over those 9 yrs, and would be ok with dropping in a used 3.4l or upgrading to another Pcar...without an IMS.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
I never do major surgery when it's not needed - such as the IMSR garbage. You just set yourself up for more problems. (IMO)
Hmmn...
I think we have another winner here.

Your join date is 8/9/2010.
Almost all of your posts are contained in the Political section of our forum.
And you're declaring the IMS replacement a "garbage" procedure.

You're obviously not a newbie.
You're most likely a troll, who created another profile to replace the one that was recently removed.

Why can't you just stick with your other preferred forums, and leave us alone here?
PPBB has plenty of people who will lift you up on their shoulders and carry you around all creation for your opinion on the IMS replacement procedure, and your distrust of anyone associated with it.

This forum has plenty of people who are actually open minded, will listen to information provided, and are quite capable of making our own conclusions on a product being offered, and its potential (or non-existent) benefits to the longevity of our cars.

We don't need your assistance, and we don't need your worthless opinions, either.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #11

Yes, water pump failed prematurely - 99 boxster

Hi - yes, mine failed prematurely on my 99 boxster. Something like the bearing went out. The sympton - a broken serpentine belt. I first thought that the belt just broke prematurely so I tried installing a new on myself but the new one kept slipping out. Finally determined that the bearing in the water pump was gone. I believe I bought the part for something like $200-250 bucks and had the Porsche dealership in Denver install it for $300. Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
We don't need your assistance, and we don't need your worthless opinions, either.

Dimwits always need assistance
Insults really have no place here. Good luck on your next forum name.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Insults really have no place here. Good luck on your next forum name

Thanks. I'm opening up a Porsche Boxster repair shop. I didn't realize how easy it was to make money ripping you off. Hell - you will even thank me and tell me what a great guy I am. And I promise to call you my "client".
To paraphrase your post above... Got it. Everybody on here knows your opinion. No need to keep repeating.