Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #1

Boxster as a third car - second thoughts?

My Boxster (Red/Blk/Blk) is on the ship with ETA of May 25th. I'm getting it as a third car and having second thoughts. Anyone out there with similar experience? Would the novelty wear out in about a month? Folks in general happy with the Boxster as a third car?

Last edited by kskimtahoe; 04-25-2005 at 09:41 AM. Reason: minor edit
kskimtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #2

My wife and I each have a primary driver. I bought a 2001 Boxster S in Februrary as a weekend "toy". I love my Boxster and drive it to work on nice days. I have since made some improvements including replacing the entire stereo as the Porsche system is not very good. They may have improved the sound this year as I have not checked. After almost 3 months I have not grown tired of my Boxster. If you are getting wet feet regarding the purchase of a new car then consider getting one preowned.
JL Audio 300/2 Amp
a/d/s Speakers
GIAC Upgrade
Dons986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
986President

I can't think of a better car to own for the pure joy of driving. My other cars include luxury sedan, suv, and a mini van. I looked at a lot of cars and decided that the Boxster would be the best to own for just driving occasionally. I think the thing you have to keep in mind is the cost of the Boxster won't make you feel guilty just leaving it in the garage for months at a time.

Pre owned cars are even better so you let the first guy get completely ripped off.

Last edited by 986President; 04-25-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
Lux

Have you even driven a Boxster???

The only way I can see the "novelty" wearing off is if I had access to Lambos and Ferraris.

I think it'll quickly graduate from your 3rd car to your 1st car.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:04 PM   #5

It's a great third car.

I've had a 968 cab as a third car for the past ten years and I still love to drive it. That's why I just ordered a 987S instead of a Corvette C6. Porsches are keepers that are still great to own and drive after a decade. I love the 968 so much that I'd keep it if I had the garage space, but unfortunately, it's got to go.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:10 PM   #6

My current boxster is a 3rd car. I've had it for 2 1/2 yrs and love driving it, I would drive it more often, but a construction site is not the place for this type of car, still manage to put about 9k a year on it. I enjoy this car so much that I have ordered a new S as its replacement, and look forward to many happy year driving it. I am a man of some what limited means and to buy a new S says alot about the Boxster. Try getting a used one and if you are not happy with it the pain won't be so bad.
graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:23 PM   #7

Ditto for me. I have a Lexus LS400 and a Honda Accord. My wife and I drive the other cars most of the time because we're always together and the golden retriever needs her back seat.

The last two times I've taken it out of the garage I had to put the key in the door, which means I left it alone for over 7 days and the smart parts of the car turn off the remote sensing to save on battery drain. That always makes me sad because the car begs to be driven every day.

I just wish it had a back seat for Lady, our dog. I'd drive it to work every day the chance of rain was 20% or less.

You will be thrilled, and probably trade one of your other cars after a short time unless bad weather or the need to haul people or stuff or dogs gets in your way like it does for me.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:24 AM   #8

Add me to the list. I have two dogs that require a ride to work each day, so I don't drive it much but the time I do is complete pleasure. My wife takes it on nice days; more coming soon! One lady Doc my wife knows says it's 'her therapy' after doing hospital rounds. ..and, it's just the right size to wash and detail.

If you can bear the depreciation, insurance, maint. and taxes for mobile statuary - then it's clearly a winner.

jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:17 AM   #9
fab

My boxster is not my 3rd car but being a single gal my boxster is my second car love toy car and I LOVE IT. I own a 5 series BMW that's the pouches car.
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #10

Have to side with Lux on this - our '02 S was originally bought as a "weekend toy" (for the weekends we're not out rockcrawling in the Jeep). Milady has an X5, I "normally" drive a 96 Bronco - which now sits most of the time. I either wind up in the Boxster, or she does and I have to decide what else to drive. Bronco will get cleaned up and sold, then it will be down to a "who needs/wants which car today"

My guess is that with summer coming, I'll be seeing a lot of the X5
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #11

Bored -----------NEVER!!!!

1st 2nd or 3rd it is Porsche Boxster Uber Alles. Timeless design, Fast, and able to turn on a dime. How can anyone get bored of that? The Boxster will join the E type as the only cars exhibited in MOMA as works of art in the not too distant future.
I am of the opinion if I bought, I use it, and that I do daily to and from work. the Joie de vivre quotient of this car in a scale from 0 to 5 is a 10. I guess I am trying to say I love my car and that you will have the same experience I have.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #12

As far as the novelty wearing out in a month...it's not that kind of car. I've only had mine a month, and from what I'm experiencing, the addiction only gets stronger.
Phil Buxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:33 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
The novelty will not wear off at all.

I drive mine year round, so during the winter, the novelty wore off for me. But then the first top-down day of the year it was like I was driving a new car! So if you're buying it to use only on top-down days, you won't get bored with it.

I'm buying a truck in the next few months for trips to and from the Home Depot, but I'm guessing that I'll still be using the Boxster for almost all other chores, including the drive to and from work -- because I just can't get enough of this car!
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:12 AM   #14

I've had my Boxster about 1 month. We wanted a convertible, and a 2000 S just about fell into our lap. Until then, the Box wasn't even on the list, and now I can't imagine having bought anything else.

I can have a bad day at work (like yesterday), but drop the top, leave the parking lot, and in less than a mile I'll have a grin on my face. It's therapy without the couch!

Jack
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:26 AM   #15

Ours is a second/third car, the weekend car. Don't see getting tired of it. Used our Miata as a weekender for 5 years, loved the use pattern. Saves a lot of wear, tear, and road chips on the weekender, also sets aside a mental place for recreation & enjoyment, different than getting back in the commuting car (reminds me of work).
Quick story on the Miata - was rebuilding my dock 2 years ago (live on a lake). Used the Miata to haul the lumber just to prove I you could do it. Top down, go to Home Depot, stick 10-12 treated 2x4s in the passenger side, and head home. Referred to the Miata as my truck. Got a lot of chuckles from the pickup crowd.
Don't know that I'll stick lumber in the box, though.
Enjoy your weekends
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:23 AM   #16
jwc

Third car - pic

The "third car" title made me think of this picture I took a few days ago.
Seems appropriate to the thread.
jwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:21 PM   #17

Thanks for all the reply. I drove Z4, C5, C6 and 987 today and I could definately feel that 987 is in a class of its own. I'll be proceeding with my purchase. My car arrives in about 10 days. On an off topic, it appears that Corvette really made a lot of improvement between C5 & C6. Still not quite on par with 987 (& the Chevy dealer wanted $15K more than 987).
kskimtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:41 AM   #18

Talking

On the C6, wanting and getting are two different things. I can purchase a C6 locally for MSRP or less. That puts the car at $44 without options.

What dealer is trying to rip folks off like this?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #19
Lux

Damn! That Boxster looks HUGE next to that Viper!

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #20
jwc

Yeah, I would have sworn the viper was a much bigger car, but next to eachother the Boxster does look bigger (and not just in the picture).

jwc is offline   Reply With Quote