Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #1

Unhappy window problem

Hello, guys im a noob to this forum and just barely completed a year with my
01 boxster, currently at about 47 thousand miles and loving this car. :dance: I was wondering if you guys could verify the problem im having, i looked at other similar threads,and i think it might be my window regulator,let me shed some info for you guys:This past week as i was opening my car, i noticed that the driver side window wasn't lowering the way it should when u open the door handle and when
closing it,it would raise the way it should but sometimes forcefully.The window was operating properly when raised all the way up and down, with no crackling
sounds of any sort.Now for some strange reason i decided to check the fuses and none were broken, however when i put the fuses associated with the windows back in there proper location,the window started to work properly again as far as opening and closing the door. Unfortunately this only worked for a couple seconds, and the problem persisted. .Since iv been very busy with my business i haven't been able to take it to the closest dealer which is 2 hours away, and was planing on taking it this thursday or friday.But wait i haven't gotten to worst part, today as i got home from work, i put my top up, and as the windows were raised you could hear the dreadful crackling as the windows rolled up, i got out of my vehicle, closed the door,and then the window automatically lowered about half way and it happens everytime i close
the driver side door. Now i have to get inside raise the window manually from inside and get out through the passenger side Any help or info would be appreciated before i take my baby to the dealer, by the way i have warranty till next june,which im hoping my extended warranty cover's.

toolfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #2

If you have to replace the window regulator this article will help:
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/
Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #3

Failing window regulator. A little painful in the wallet, but an easy fix. ~$200 from Sunset Porsche in OR, http://www.****************************************************.com/contact/order-parts-online/. These guys typically have the best prices for OEM parts. Good guys. Get to know them, but hopefully not too well.

The instructions on bombaydigital.com are quite good, though not perfect. Allocate a couple of hours to do the job slowly and methodically - if, like me, you're not super mechanically inclined. I repeat, easy job if you take your time.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #4

Thanks for the help and info guys,I appreciate it. Tomorrow I have the service appointment at 11am,luckily for me the window works fine for now for the exception of the crackling sound and the inability of it to lower properly when opening the door.Wish me and my wallet good luck tomorrow jaja.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #5

Just got back from servicing my car and after seeing the horrifying bill, i
decided to keep away from the dealer for a while jaja.The labor rate
at my dealer is $135 an hour.So they charged me $202.50 to
diagnose the check engine light, my window regulator was $319.02,
they charged me $337.50 for labor for a total bill of $916.74.
I was very pleased with the window working, properly and just
when i thought my problems were over,as i drove back to my city which is
a 2 1/2 drive, i noticed that my key was really
hard to take out and insert again.I had to take it out at an angle and
forcefully and same thing when inserting it. I also noticed that my
headlights would not operate properly and i had turn on the car
and then turn the key slightly to the left to make the headlights work
properly. Damn am i the most unluckiest owner or what, do
u guys think i have a case by complaining to the dealer, since that
problem occurred after i left the shop?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #6

Calling the dealer certainly would not hurt. You just spent a chunk with them (although to them its nothing) and they could at least give you an explanation.

Hope you get it resolved. Glad to see another from Texas on here. Welcome.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #7

Well I called the dealer,they said they weren't liable for the damage to my ignition switch since they only worked on my window.they also said it was a very common problem on older boxsters.part was about $200 and labor about $300,I think I'll pass and change it myself after finding several great how-to websites.I'm deciding to get either the vw or audi ignition switch replacement,any of u guys have any advice or info before I proceed with the experiment?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #8

do it yourself. it's not hard. check this site for instructions. i replaced switches on mine and my wife's box. only takes 20-30 minutes. i suggest purchasing a small jewelers screwdriver for removing the ignition switch. you can buy the switch online for less than $20.

you might want to do some research on water pump and aos...those will fail eventually. water pump should go around 60k miles. aos varies, but if you catch it early you will save hundreds in o2 sensors.

good luck!

silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote