Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2005, 12:27 AM   #1

Towing

Hi,

I am looking to buy a car to use on a daily basis for commuting to the station, general use and the odd track day. I am considering buying an either an early 2.5 Boxster or a late 968 coupe. I would ideally prefer the Boxster as I prefer the styling and the more modern drive, but I also need a certain amount of praticality.

Now, I know this is not ideal but, I also have a small trailer which is maily used for taking rubbish to the dump and trips to the DIY shop, but also for transporting my mountain bikes and gear about for rides. Keeping an open mind about towing with a Porsche (Cayenne notwithstanding), does anyone have any experience as to whether is it at all possible to fit a tow hitch to a Boxster for very occasional very light use? If there is absoutly no way, I will probably have to look at a 968 instead, but SWMBO is less keen.

many thanks for ideas.

Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:42 AM   #2
PAH

Due to the location of the exhaust, and especially the tailpipes, I very mcuh doubt you could tow anything with a Boxster. There simply isn't anywhere (I know of) to mount the tow-bar.
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #3

Talking

Based on what you describe as your usage, I would get the 968.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:16 AM   #4

This might do what you need....

http://www.willwoodsystem.com/
DevNull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:46 AM   #5

Talking

Just my personal reaction but I see this as a appalling. A Boxster should just not tow anything.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:56 AM   #6

Thanks for your responses.

I take it that no-one uses a seperate set of wheels/tyres for track days. I used to have a 944 turbo, and you could fit a second set in the back (rear seats/boot) and still have room for a passenger to get to the track.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #7

Tires are what many folks tow with their Boxster. The crowd that has not yet or will not go to the SUV-towing-a-trailer-with-car-on-it approach uses this so they can take their tires and tools and leave the internal storage areas for luggage, etc.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #8

I saw a twentysomething guy and a female passenger in an '03 Black Boxster in DC about a year ago with a trailer attached to the Boxster and I almost fell over. At the time I thought he was moving, but in retrospect, he was probably hauling track gear. I can't offer technical advice, but have seen it done. Good Luck!
Onad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:30 PM   #9

Would'nt that eat the clutch?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:34 AM   #10

I am quite sure that if you asked Porsche, towing would void the warranty on a new Boxster.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:09 AM   #11

One of the small trailers (for instance: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42708 ) completely set up and with a set of track tires on it would probably weigh in at ~220 pounds.

Comparing that additional load to either carrying "larger" passengers, several large full suitcases or just making many quick starts, I don't think the additional wear on the car would be an issue.

Would Porsche raise an issue re: warranty if you drove in with the trailer attached and claimed early engine failure, etc...? Certainly. The hitch design shown above is completely removable so they will never need to know.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #12

Talking

Don't think the comparison holds. Dragging a object from the back your car, with associated wind resistance and having it move to and fro is not really the same set of physics as is involved in tugging your heavy friend around in the passenger seat.

Having said that, who knows for sure? I just don't see risking damage to my $55K sports car by dragging a trailer around.

Personal choice though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
One of the small trailers (for instance: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42708 ) completely set up and with a set of track tires on it would probably weigh in at ~220 pounds.

Comparing that additional load to either carrying "larger" passengers, several large full suitcases or just making many quick starts, I don't think the additional wear on the car would be an issue.

Would Porsche raise an issue re: warranty if you drove in with the trailer attached and claimed early engine failure, etc...? Certainly. The hitch design shown above is completely removable so they will never need to know.