Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #1

99 boxster horn goes off when turning steering wheel

I have a 99 Boxster and when I turn the steering wheel from halfway to full on either side the horn goes off, anyone have any fix?

99pbxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #2

Garage
Do a search on horn plate here, I had to replace mine as when I applied the brakes my horn would honk also.

Pretty simple DIY to replace and some posts have different work arounds to replace padding.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #3

i had the same problem before w/ the same MY 99, turns out it's the horn pad. I didn't replace, my friends shop did it and it was under ext. warranty.
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
This is fairly common, the spring under the airbag goes out and the wire moves around triggering the horn. There are DIY instructions on the internet, just make sure if you do it yourself that you disconnect the battery so you don't set off the airbag.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #5

This is lazy, but about a month ago I took 3 business cards, folded them in half, and inserted them into the space between the horn & steering wheel polymers meet. Took 15 seconds, and horn has worked ever since.

Maybe one day I'll go deeper and fix it for good, but for how little time it took and considering I can't see the business cards....

Well, the horn works when I want it and not when I don't, and that's all I really care about right now.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #6

I just replaced my horn plate two weekends ago. It's not that difficult. The hardest part is getting the T30 torx driver onto the screw heads holding the horn on. I used the Bentley book for instructions. It's really simple, and the part is about $55.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote