Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #1

Sound system upgrade

Hey everyone, I have a bit of cash to spend on my Boxster, and as I do listen to music on it quite often (I love a flat 6 as much as the next guy, but you hardly hear it in traffic). I want to upgrade some aspect of the sound system, I just don't know which part I am going to change.

Budget is about 500 dollars.

I could change out the head unit because the CD reader on it is completely gone, it starts skipping in the middle of tracks on brand new CD's.

Or I could change the speakers, maybe get better subwoofers. I have an FM transmitter that plays reasonably well without static, so I usually just play my Ipod through it.

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:50 AM   #2

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XAV-60-Dash-Touchscreen-Receiver/dp/B0032FOJQ6
white99c2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #3

easy project...

Get a decent head unit with a mp3 input, some good dash speakers, and this:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_19671_SoundStorm_USS8.aspx

amazing sound for the price and size! fits behind one of the seats, or get two and put one behind each seat.
The Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #4

How will that fit into the center console? Will I have to rip out the two cubby holes underneath the current head unit?
Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #5

First dump the factory head unit and replace it with something like this. There's no need to go overboard, not that you're going to with a $500 budget anyway.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDHDR60/JVC-KD-HDR60.html?tp=5684

I have the previous version and love it. Blows the doors off the Becker.

I chose it because:

- HD Radio built in; many stations now broadcast in HD.
- iPod & USB inputs on the face
- bluetooth connectivity
- illumination can easily be set to very closely match the factory dash lights, giving it a more factory look

Do your upgrades step-wise. I had big ideas for my system, but ultimately only did the head unit and dash speakers.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland
First dump the factory head unit and replace it with something like this. There's no need to go overboard, not that you're going to with a $500 budget anyway.

Wow, thanks for the recommendation! I never realized you could get a head unit with so many features at such a reasonable price. I especially like the fact that I can buy a 16 GB thumb drive, fill it with MP3's, and then just plug it into the face of this head unit... so simple! I've been thinking of getting a new head unit for my 914, but now I'm tempted to update my 911 too!

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland

I chose it because:

- HD Radio built in; many stations now broadcast in HD.
- iPod & USB inputs on the face
- bluetooth connectivity
- illumination can easily be set to very closely match the factory dash lights, giving it a more factory look

Do your upgrades step-wise. I had big ideas for my system, but ultimately only did the head unit and dash speakers.
I really like the idea of having a pop up screen with SAT NAV and a DVD player for when I'm waiting for someone, but the question is will it fit into the footprint of the standard Becker unit?
I'd like to be able to plug my Iphone in and have it charge, or be able to use handsfree with Bluetooth, since talking on the phone whilst driving a manual isn't ideal.

But then again, I could buy something at this price point, and buy a nice amp or some speakers, I'm really not sure.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #8

Not to hijack the thread but I am curious, which fm transmitter are you using? I haven't been able to find a decent one yet.
juan986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #9

The stero that came in my Bosxter sounds real nice.

5-channel Alpine Amp in front trunk

A little Sub-woofer under each seat

Sound-stream speakers in the door

Very old Alpine CD player

The neat thing is the little subwoofers under my seat ...... are they stock or aftermarket?? i cant tell??
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan986
Not to hijack the thread but I am curious, which fm transmitter are you using? I haven't been able to find a decent one yet.
To be honest with you its a cheap one, I found it at Marshall's, which is an outlet store for about 20 dollars. Most of the time there is minimal static, which is drowned out since my usual choice of music is hard rock and all the guitar distortion drowns it out.

But it's far from CD quality, the bass is just staticy and the trebles get lost at high volumes.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #11

I called up Porsche today for some info, and what they told me was:

1) there is a special tool needed to get the old stereo out
and
2) Taking out the factory stereo can and probably will mess with the alarm system

Could I get some verification if this is true? If so could someone give me a bit of detail on what to do? I decided to get a nice Sony unit:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-MEX-BT38UW-Xplod-Bluetooth-CD-Receiver/14262179

Comes with Ipod integration and bluetooth which is handy with a manual car, so I'm happy with that.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #12

I used some screwdrivers and brute force. Alarm was fine
daboy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:42 AM   #13

there are two "keys" you stick in after taking off the face plat that allow you to pull it out - cheap "tools" you can buy online or from porsche.

it doesn't mess with the alarm so much as messes with the radio when you put it back in - you'll need the radio codes to reactivate it.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #14

I dont need these special tools to remove an already aftermarket Alpine CD player ??? .......... or do I ??
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #15

Here's the unit I'm going to order in a couple of days:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT945U/Kenwood-KDC-BT945U.html?tp=5684

The only concern I have with it is that it has a rear USB port for Ipods, I am not sure where the cable will actually come out of. Do I need to drill a hole somewhere to get the cable out?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #16

Rear USB is way better. You don't really want a front USB with the cable hanging out the face all the time. With rear, you can easily run the cable into the glove compartment for easy storage and/or pluggability of your ipod or usb drive.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by demick
Rear USB is way better. You don't really want a front USB with the cable hanging out the face all the time. With rear, you can easily run the cable into the glove compartment for easy storage and/or pluggability of your ipod or usb drive.
Glove compartment...haha I'm hoping you mean the lockable pen holder behind the gear stick :P.

Is it hard to bring the cable over?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
Glove compartment...haha I'm hoping you mean the lockable pen holder behind the gear stick :P.

Is it hard to bring the cable over?
Oops. I forgot that early cars don't have a glove compartment. Well, in the absense of a glove compartment, I would either run the cable to the area right below the stereo to one of the little storage compartments, or to the center armrest compartment.

The storage compartments below the stereo will be much easier, but you would probably want to drill a hole at the rear (top) of the compartment to pass the cable through.

Running a cable to the armrest compartment will be more work, as you would probably need to remove the center console to do it right. But it would be a better place because you end up with your ipod/thumb drive in a lockable hidden place.

None of this is very difficult though. Just take your time and don't rush.

Last edited by demick; 08-05-2010 at 06:37 AM.
demick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by demick
Oops. I forgot that early cars don't have a glove compartment. Well, in the absense of a glove compartment, I would either run the cable to the area right below the stereo to one of the little storage compartments, or to the center armrest compartment.

The storage compartments below the stereo will be much easier, but you would probably want to drill a hole at the rear (top) of the compartment to pass the cable through.

Running a cable to the armrest compartment will be more work, as you would probably need to remove the center console to do it right. But it would be a better place because you end up with your ipod/thumb drive in a lockable hidden place.

None of this is very difficult though. Just take your time and don't rush.
I think I will just drill a hole in the storage compartment below the unit. That's where I keep my Iphone now anyway and it's easy access.
I'll keep everyone posted! Might take a few pictures of installation as well.