Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #1

Boxster To-Do List

I have a 1999 Boxster w/15,000 miles and would like to improve the looks but wondering what would have the most "bang for my buck". Here's what I'm thinking:

1. New top w/glass window. Already replaced the plastic window w/another plastic window and it looks terrible. Cost is $1,000.
2. New leather interior. A lot of cracks on the driver's seat. Tried restoring it but minimal effect. Approx. cost is $2000.00
3. Fixing all the stone chips. I have stone chips on the front hood and 2 of the side panels. I haven't tried doing a chip repair on that vehicle. Tried it on another vehicle and decided to stick to my day job! Went to several body shops and they said that they must do the entire panel to make it look right. Bottom line is $1700-$2200.

So, if you were me and I were you, what would you do first? Looking for any/all input. Thanks

kent518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
While I'm no expert on these cars and pretty new to the Stuttgart family myself, I'd personally say if I had that to-do list (which is thankfully nothing mechanical or major), I'd start working on my car's cosmetics from the inside out. I figure the stone chips can't be all that horrendous unless you've been driving through the dirt roads of Rudy, Arkansas, and so long as the top is doing its job of providing coverage and raising and lowering without issue, I'd start on reviving the interior. Then go for your glassed top, and finally take care of the paint. That's my opinion, if I were in your shoes. Whatever you decide, hope it all turns out well.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #3

what is your budget for the repairs ?
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #4

drive it as-is.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #5

As for the top, I would not put the real expensive one on because of the age of your Boxster. You can get them from $350 to $500, just check around and check out Mike Focke site. Great info here.
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Interior, check the classifieds here and Pelican and other Boxster sites. There are guys parting out cars or converting them to track. Great buys can be had.

Paint, that's about the goin rate.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent518
So, if you were me and I were you, what would you do first? Looking for any/all input. Thanks
I would buy your black leather seats for sale.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #7

I was where you are about a year ago. I didn't replace the window as I had a feeling it would look bad, so I replaced the whole top. Got a real nice one out of England for $500 shipped. I didn't get the glass window because a) the orange defroster lines look like crap, and b) it seriously restricts access to the engine compartment on a '99.

Next I replaced the standard seats with a pair of sport seats that I found. They cost me $1600 for the pair (shipped) but they look like brand new and I really like them. Staying with the interior, I also replaced the ugly four spoke steering wheel with a three spoke from an '03. Also got the shifter from an '03 to complete the look.

I also have some stone chips, but I got the paint buffed out for $100 to make it all shiny again, and then used color-coded wax to hide most of the chips. Looks great. My headlights were scratched and hazy, so I had those polished as well.

Mark