Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #41

You might be thinking of RE-01R instead which the RE-11 replaced.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #42

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
There are so many uncontrollable variables on this topic.

I said my HRTZIIIs are complete crap in wet. Well what does wet meant to me? Here in Sacramento it can POUR!. It's not uncommon to see bad storm where trees fall over,fences are knocked down and the liking. This to me is considered wet. I've hydro planned several times with the HRTZIIIs,each occurred when the weather was like this. Light to moderate rain,isn't really an issue so far.

Also my alignment is a little more aggressive then OEM spec,this can play into it as well.

Air pressure settings,play into it also...

The list goes on....we can argue this all day.

The links(tirerack) provided below are basically the most unbias,controlled test you'll see.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 07-14-2010 at 08:36 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #43
Pat

You're absolutely right. My bad.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #44

Thanks Pat for the info on the CEC DWS.
favino1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #45
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
The CEC DWS is a great value in A/S tires. We have had them on the A6 for several months and I am very impressed. That said, they are NOT in the same class as the Pilot Sport A/S. If the PS is borderline acceptable in terms of performance, you don't want the DWS.
Hey, Pat, saw your comment here and it's got me curious. Could you elaborate some more for me? How is it that the Michelin is considered borderline and the DWS not in the same class? I'm not trying to be a wiseass here, but they are both indeed in the ultra high performance all-season class. Not that I'm one who lives and dies by stats on paper/screen, but if you set em side-by-side in a tirerack comparison--while I understand that reviews weren't exactly done with the Boxster specifically in mind--the Continentals actually seem to have the upper hand and approval rating. The one I found listed was actually labeled Pilot Sport A/S Plus, so I guess it's an improved model/replacement. Hopefully the link I'll supply here works, but if not I'm sure you can track down the list of UHP A/S for a '97 with 17s. EDIT: My genius self just realized ya probably really don't need to since favino pretty much put it all out there earlier, heheh....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

Just wanted to get a little more info/opinion out of you on how you feel the tires stack up against each other.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 07-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #46
Pat

The Tire Rack test for the DWS measures mainly how the tire compares with others in its class in SNOW. I love this as a snow-oriented A/S tire, or as a substitute for a light snow tire. A couple tires bridge the gap between A/S and light snow. The DWS is one. A little more toward the snow category is the Dunlop 3D. With this type of tire there are always compromises. As I spend a lot of time in the mountains in the winter but only want one set of wheels/tires for our A6, I went with the DWS. It is fantastic, as it really can serve as a tire that handles 100 degree heat in Denver in the summer and also -10 degrees with a ton of snow in the mountains in the winter. It's not easy to find a tire that sacrifices so little. I think the DWS is one of the best, if not THE best, A/S tires in the snow.
That said, it has a lot of void an not many large tread blocks. When pushed in the hot weather it gives up easily. More easily, IMO, than the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. The Pilot has stiffer sidewalls and is more responsive. It's closer to a summer performance tire than the DWS. Does that answer your question?
Both are A/S tires, but on opposite ends of the A/S spectrum for my needs.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #47

I HATE Pirelli PZeros. They simply just suck. A slight undulation in the road will cause the car will follow it. You feel EVERY bump in the road. They are loud. They wear out fast. When you turn a tight radius on smooth concrete the tire tread seems to "skip". Car felt unstable at high speeds (over 80mph).

I LOVE Michelin Pilot A/S plus. Smooth and quiet. Has a 420 treadwear rating AND a warranty. Handles great in every aspect of my driving (city and highway).

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by texomawaves
I HATE Pirelli PZeros.

I LOVE Michelin Pilot A/S plus. Smooth and quiet. Has a 420 treadwear rating AND a warranty. Handles great in every aspect of my driving (city and highway).
PZeros and Pilots and damn expensive.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #49
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Does that answer your question?
Both are A/S tires, but on opposite ends of the A/S spectrum for my needs.
Pat, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me and share your personal experience with both. I may very well have to keep the Pilot in consideration after all.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #50

Garage
I personally also run with Goodyear F1s, but unlike Danger, don't find them rough riding at all. Very smooth and quiet, great in the rain and dry, and very long wearing. No problems with wheel balance either. I run 18" wheels tho.[/QUOTE]

You and I can't seem to agree on anything when it comes to wheels and tires. How about ice cream flavors ?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #51
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I personally also run with Goodyear F1s, but unlike Danger, don't find them rough riding at all. Very smooth and quiet, great in the rain and dry, and very long wearing. No problems with wheel balance either. I run 18" wheels tho.

You and I can't seem to agree on anything when it comes to wheels and tires. How about ice cream flavors ? [/QUOTE]

Let's see, I like vanilla, chocolate, mint chocolate chip, rum raisin, but hate cookie dough.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #52
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
Pat, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me and share your personal experience with both. I may very well have to keep the Pilot in consideration after all.
I'm glad it was helpful. If you'd like to chat PM me. There's more to it than just that. Living in Denver I go from 20 degrees and snowing to 85 and sun in the same day, so my environment can be pretty crazy. There have been HUGE advancements the last ten years in tires than can deal with both situations well.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by favino1006
Hey Guys,

Thought I would chime in on this one as I currently have tires on the mind as well.

Thanks guys. I hope this is helpful to someone =)
-ian
Favino, I'd like to say thanks (sarcasm)
Now I'm completely unsure again what I want to buy.
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #54

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
You and I can't seem to agree on anything when it comes to wheels and tires. How about ice cream flavors ?
Let's see, I like vanilla, chocolate, mint chocolate chip, rum raisin, but hate cookie dough. [/QUOTE]

Should we ever meet at a car event, I owe you one free ice cream in the flavor of your choice. Provided the color is yellow, and the scoops are 19 inches in diameter.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #55

Thanks Pat for expounding even further as well. Helpful info for sure.

Quote:

"Favino, I'd like to say thanks (sarcasm)
Now I'm completely unsure again what I want to buy.
Ken"

Haha, Sorry Ken. For whatever it may be worth, I'll say this, I have nothing negative at all to say about the PS2 A/S Plus. Imho, for daily driving in Florida, they're fantastic. They are really the first tires I've had on my car that I have been happy with. I only got to thinking about the CEC DWS because they are so much cheaper and seem to have even better tread life. But ultimately, as far as my driving is concerned, sacrificing more traction beyond the pilots seems creepy to me. And yes, the Pilots are expensive. Super expensive even. But think about it like this, If I put on one set of Pilot's to every 4 or 5 sets of Ecsta rears, in the long run, how expensive are they really? You know what I'm gonna say; you get what you pay for...

On a side note, My wife drives an 08 Camry Hybrid. It came new with Michelin Energy's. We got 80k miles out of those tires and they were rated for like 45k or something! And her car handled amazing on those tires, wet or dry. She's running Michelin HydroEdge's now. They have a 90k warranty

-ian
Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #56

Thumbs up

My car came with new 17" Falken FK452's when I bought it 10,000 miles ago. I wouldn't have given these tires much thought if the car had needed tires when I bought it, but I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. Nothing unpleasant about the ride, plenty of "stick," and they've worn well.

Specifically, I was really surprised about how well they held up after a 2-day on-track HPDE event... I noticed very little "tread roll" to the outside of the tire. (FAR less than I noticed on the Eagle F1 GS-D3's on my VW GTI after a track day at the same track a couple years ago.) I can honestly say that I've never been in a situation, on track or off, where I was wanting for more traction. At $522 for a set of four from Discount Tire, I'm going to have a hard time coming up with a reason not to buy another set once I wear these out.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #57

Ok, today I told Discount Tire to order me a pair of Falkens for the rear.
$414 out the door for the 2. I'll get the front tires next month.
The 40K mileage / road hazard warranty sold me.
Ken
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKen
Ok, today I told Discount Tire to order me a pair of Falkens for the rear.
$414 out the door for the 2. I'll get the front tires next month.
The 40K mileage / road hazard warranty sold me.
Ken
For whatever reason discount never called that they have the tires so I went Saturday to inquire. Since they had a special for July 23-24 buy 4 tires and get $100 rebate I ordered the fronts also @$128 each to get the $100 back. had to pay on Sat and will wait till the fronts are in stock to get all installed.
Ken
Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKen
For whatever reason discount never called that they have the tires so I went Saturday to inquire. Since they had a special for July 23-24 buy 4 tires and get $100 rebate I ordered the fronts also @$128 each to get the $100 back. had to pay on Sat and will wait till the fronts are in stock to get all installed.
Ken
I have the Falken 912's on mine and I like them very much. The warranty is nice touch and they stand behind them. Nice smooth ride with great handling, wet or dry.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:20 AM   #60

Let me preface this by saying, I have no interest in drawing fire here. I don't post much, but I read a LOT. I've learned so much valuable information in this forum that has helped me immensely with my box. Any issues that ever come up, I come here and Rennlist first before I do anything. Consequently, I generally trust most guys that take the time to post have a legitimate opinion that has come about via an experience and is therefore worth while to share.

That said, if you run staggered fitment, the Falken warranty is void. Period. After a week and a half of runarounds, from a Falken rep's lips to my ears, there is no warranty if you a running staggered fitment. The warranty only applies to tires that can be regularly rotated. I am speaking from experience here. I did finally get some reimbursement in my situation but from tire kingdom, who in turn pursued Falken after the fact. If Falken's policy has since changed, I am unaware of it. Consequently, I'll never buy 912's again. Ever.

However, I must admit, I'm super curious about the FK452's Banana S has been running. Man, if he's gotten even 10k out of them with track use in there as well, they seem like they may be well worth the money.

I sincerely hope this is informative and helpful.
-ian