Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 05:16 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Ridiculous if you ask me. This is what I'm talking about - the value of the older cars have been going up excessively over the last few years. I don't believe this has totally caught on yet to the 912's though, this car and some others being the exceptions. I think you can still maybe find a cheaper 912.... "maybe". One of the members of my local PCA is selling his 356 coupe for something like $68K! It's not worth $68K as a driver's car, it's clearly a collector's car. Maybe to get an early 911 that's not a collector's car you need a good barn find. A co-worker of mine picked up an early 70's 911 targa last year for $5K, but he's still working on it to get it running reliably!

Kirk

I am all for appreciating car values! (as long as I already have the car !!)

Like I said, the car was in "really decent" condition. I would put it at 80-85%, it had the engine rebuilt and brake system was redone, all original manuals, toolkit, had the begining of some small oxidation, I was NOT expecting to hear 37.5 come out of his mouth!

...I'll nose out a great deal...

Kyle

Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Double galvanized bodies are a big thing to consider as well. If you want a car that's not going to have hidden (or maybe unhidden) problems, it's another reason to start in the mid 70s.

Good point here! Thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #23

The 993 and boxster s seem to have similar steering feel. The 993 might have a little more feedback. I am not sure when ps came standar but I remember driving my friends dads 86 cab carrera and it did not have ps.

Thumbs up on the galvanizing. My sc has limited specks of rust here in two spots and it has been fully stripped /repainted, and lives in CA garaged. I restored a 54 chevy truck when I was younger so I have a huge dislike of rust. Nasty stuff and nasty to deal with. You can fix anything it just costs $$$$.

Sounds to me like as a second car if you can easily afford to purchase a good SC in the 14-20 k range then you are likely to be able to afford the expensive curve balls that may come up.
smcgeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #24
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcgeary
Sounds to me like as a second car if you can easily afford to purchase a good SC in the 14-20 k range then you are likely to be able to afford the expensive curve balls that may come up.
Not mine,but...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/1835307554.html
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #25

That DC car looks pretty good. I wouldn't buy a cheap SC. Rather I would spend a bit more up front and get a good one possibly w rebuild etc. If you read the excllence magazine about a "cheap" SC you will know what I mean. These cars are bulletproof and reliable but like any Porsche way expensive to fix. I don't think they break nearly as much as the boxsters but cost a bit more when they do.

I think it has been said but pelican parts seems to have the largest amount of knowledge for these cars.

Good time to be looking!
smcgeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #26
Track rat

Garage
Finding a vintage Porsche is a great adventure, enjoy. jmatta is probably our resident expert on the early 911s and I would trust his judgement. There are quite a few early variants in our club that I would consider owning... An original owner '66 comes to mind and some day I may just have to have it.

One thing you mentioned that stood out to me: "but I do need some type of AC". This may limit your choices somewhat. Reliable, cold A/C in a vintage Porsche usually means an expensive custom aftermarket system, a 964 or later, or rolling down the windows on a cool morning We are very spoiled with an excellent climate control system in the Boxster but the original A/C in most early 911s is pretty worthless. Keep this tidbit in mind as you shop for your fun car.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Finding a vintage Porsche is a great adventure, enjoy. jmatta is probably our resident expert on the early 911s and I would trust his judgement. There are quite a few early variants in our club that I would consider owning... An original owner '66 comes to mind and some day I may just have to have it.

One thing you mentioned that stood out to me: "but I do need some type of AC". This may limit your choices somewhat. Reliable, cold A/C in a vintage Porsche usually means an expensive custom aftermarket system, a 964 or later, or rolling down the windows on a cool morning We are very spoiled with an excellent climate control system in the Boxster but the original A/C in most early 911s is pretty worthless. Keep this tidbit in mind as you shop for your fun car.
Thanks! It has proven to be a fun journey, and I am only just getting started!

Yes, I said that because I've noticed alot of them have listed as "ac is disconnected, but have the compressor" or the like. I know it is not cold from shopping around, but I tend to sweat like a maniac and some type of ac is necessary! Other than that I don't need power windows or defrosters, etc....Just a pure driving experience.
My local Porsche shop has an AC upgrade system for early 911's.

Kyle
Old 07-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #28

I feel you really need to set your goals on how you'll use the car, so you won't be unhappy with your purchase. The early cars are raw, a blast to drive, expensive and a/c means roll the windows down.

A few companies produce aftermarket a/c components for the SC and Carreras, but do not interpret this as "modern"; it will blow air, but it is hardly cool.

One of my favorite 911s to this day was a triple black 1983 911SC...too bad they didn't have digital cameras back then, I'd post a pic. You state that $37.5 may be on the heavy side? Get a good grip on your budget, include reserves to make the car correct, and we could help you further decide what car you should be looking for.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I feel you really need to set your goals on how you'll use the car, so you won't be unhappy with your purchase. The early cars are raw, a blast to drive, expensive and a/c means roll the windows down.

A few companies produce aftermarket a/c components for the SC and Carreras, but do not interpret this as "modern"; it will blow air, but it is hardly cool.

One of my favorite 911s to this day was a triple black 1983 911SC...too bad they didn't have digital cameras back then, I'd post a pic. You state that $37.5 may be on the heavy side? Get a good grip on your budget, include reserves to make the car correct, and we could help you further decide what car you should be looking for.

Thank you! I have sent you a pm. I'm wanting this car as an "investment piece" it will be driven on weekends, maybe a few long trips. A semi garage queen so to speak. I'd like to keep it in the 15-20k range including making it how I want it.

Kyle