Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #21

Thanks @IMACMAN! The soldering instructions worked perfect for me. I just bought a 2000 Boxster S with only 40K miles and the main lock button didn't work. When I took it apart to check the battery, I saw the switch was rattling around in the key. I used your instructions and with super glue and my trusty soldering iron I have a working key again.

Cheers!

AaronPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #22

I recently went to my local auto parts store and on the counter they had a key fob tester. I pointed my key fob at tester and pushed buttons as instructed and the tester lit up. If key fob works but doesn't unlock or lock car, do I have a programing issue with the car?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #23

I thought it was normal that after a prolonged time without use that you had to use the key in the door and that reactivated the remote. is this not the case? I know if I leave mine sitting for a week or so that is the norm for me and thats what the previous owner told me.

Last edited by tanque55; 10-23-2014 at 07:32 AM.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #24

Does anyone know the specifications of the 'oscillator' on the circuit board? I opened my key fob and the oscillator is missing. Please see attached pic with the two points marked up with circles. One of the micro-switches had come off so I soldered it (still need to clean out the pcb...). When I press the switches the LED does flash but none of the doors open. I think it is because I am missing the oscillator part.

I have just bought the 2004 Boxster and cannot lock it. Something is also wrong in the door lock mechanism as the key swings freely when put in the door. But that is another problem. Need to first fix the fob issue.

Also does anyone have a spare/junk pcb for the key fob (for a 2004 Boxster)?

Appreciate any help.
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #25
On the slippery slope

Garage
You have posted the same question in 3 different threads

PICK ONE!!!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #26

Sorry about posting in multiple threads. I will stick with this one.

On doing further research I think that I don't have an oscillator missing between the two points. The key fob just needs to be programmed it would seem. Will try some of the techniques mentiond by others on this forum to see if I can re-program the key fob...

Thanks.
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:51 AM   #27

2001 Boxster S key fob problem

Issue: pressing buttons on fob, red light comes on but nothing happens.

Replaced buttons and battery but still the same. Would work if I pressed hard or if I took the circuit board out of the key and press button with thumb with index finger underneath pressing on the battery.

If I hold the edges of the circuit card and press button does not work. Thought it might be battery connections so I removed the battery holder from the circuit card and hard soldered the battery to the circuit card.

Still did not work unless as I pressed button with thumb while pressing underneath against the lower(flatter) of the three chips on the board. Light bulb moment, with a small tipped soldering iron and magnifying glass I reworked the solder joints on the chip now work first time every time back in the key.

Hope this helps.

Monkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote