Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #1

Lower headliner clips?

I have a 98 box. So I was messing with the soft top today and noticed elastic bands with plastic clips attached dangling down into the soft top well area behind both seats? They are attached to the lower headliner. I guess it has been like this for some time. After about an hr screwing around with them trying to attach them to something I got frustrated and cut them off. I figured I would rather have them removed rather than have a chance to get stuck in the soft top mechanisms. I have saved the clips just in case. Anyway wanted to see if anyone else having a similar deal? Thanks.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #2

Those plastic hooks attach to part of the top mechanisim directly below where you found them hanging and they're difficult to reattach because you can't get your hand down there ( I had to make a special tool out of some small diameter copper tubing ). I had no idea where they went either and had to have a tech at the local dealer point out their attachement points on a car in their lot. I tried to take photographs but I couldn't get a good angle and my flash wouldn't get down in there.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #3

So after you had them attached by the tech did it just make the liner a bit more snug? Yea the other day I was closing my top and heard an awful cracking sound, after getting into it I found those dang things, along with a plastic plug that had come loose and wonder if one got caught up...I guess if they don't serve much of a real purpose I will most likely leave em' chopped off