986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need some expert help on transmission problem (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24957)

mptoledo 05-29-2010 06:40 PM

Need some expert help on transmission problem

2001 Box s Tiptronic with 67k miles

When I started my car up and put it in drive I heard a crunching or slipping sound. i could actually feel it with my feet. It wasn't overly loud, but it was audible. It happens when stopped at a light with the car in drive mostly. I could hear a similar slightly lesser noise when I shifted it in park or Neutral. I had no choice but to drive it home. The car drove flawlessly on the 90 mile journey home. It shifted fine from take off up and down the gears. Their wasn't any over heating issue or reving issues(idle was fine), just only happened when I stopped at a light or was parked.

I am taking a stab at what I think might be wrong:
Does the tip have a sort of clutch brake/plate that keeps the clutch from engaging when stopped?

I made it home safely and saw no fluids on the floor.

Lil bastard 05-29-2010 11:44 PM

Like every automatic transmission, the Tiptronic S (or ZF 5HP19) has a series of clutches or bands. These do wear and are especially sensitive to overheating.

When was the fluid/filter last changed? 45k mi. should be the maximum - despite Porsche's claim that it is 'lifetime', ZF Getrieb (the Tranny Mfgr.) recommends fluid/filter changes at these intervals for the 5HP 19 (also used in BMWs, Jaguars, Audis and VW's).

That said, it's often the valve body or the associated solenoids which fail.

Regardless, the symptoms you describe require a qualified person to check it out and correct it.

Running it as it is, is NOT OK.

Cheers!

mptoledo 05-30-2010 07:07 AM

Thanks for the reply, I put it away until the problem has been corrected. Fluid changes are unkown as I bought the car last year with 58k miles. I have to find good porsche mechanic in my area as this problem seems above my pay scale.

mptoledo 05-31-2010 11:30 AM

I purchased a obd2 reader today and only read two codes.
1.)p1133= oxygen sensor, adaptation, lower load bank two above limit.
2.)p1126=o2 sensng range 1 cyl 4-6

Neither pertained to the transmission. I knew it was getting to be time to change out my 02 sensors so no suprise there.

I think I am first going to change my tranny fluid, yes I did read up on it and know it isn't the easiest one to do. I have done my: oil, plugs, fuel and air filter. I also changed my alternator this year. I have some mechanical skills, albeit limited.

1.) Where do you all suggest to get the parts? Automatic transmission filter & gasket kit and fluid(might as well get some 02 sensors also).
2.)How much fluid is generally needed.
3.)Anybody have a site they love for the DIYer for this project? I usually use Pedro's garage.

Worst case scenerio is I will have to flat bed it to the nearest P-mechanic or worst of the worst case scenerios take it to the stealership