Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #1

Garage
Soft Top Treatment

Hi Guys and Gals

Here is my problem. I mistakenly bought Vinyl top cleaner and proofer from Renovo. I started cleaning my top using the cleaner (i assume its just soap). Then I painted my top using the Renovo reviver (the reviver was correct for Canvas tops). Before i was going to apply the proofer i realized that i bought the wrong cleaner and proofer.

Here are my questions

A) How much damage have i done using the Vinyl cleaner? I'm pretty sure its minimal if any.

B) Can i use the a Vinyl Proofer to protect a Canvas top?

Keep in mind that there is a note on the cleaner and proofer that says "do not use on canvas tops" and there is a note on the reviver that says "do not use on vinyl tops".
Ordering stuff from Renovo is a pain since it has to be shipped from england and I'm in Canada. It took over a month for it to arrive.

Thanks for your help

2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #2

I wouldn't use it. I don't care for renovo that much either. I prefer RaggTopp, but it's a matter of personal preference as I'm sure both are good.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I wouldn't use it. I don't care for renovo that much either. I prefer RaggTopp, but it's a matter of personal preference as I'm sure both are good.

Cheers!
+1. Raggtopp!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #4

take an oxo feathertip brush and Raggtopp cleanser and strip the canvas clean.
Repeat. Then rinse the the heck out of it with a high pressure. Blot it dry with chamois sponge. Let it dry in the sun a while and then use the Raggtopp protectant which has a nice side benefit of making the canvas darker.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I prefer the Renovo UltraProofer, it paints on thick, and there is no need to worry about getting it on the paint. Raggtop is just as good, it's just preference for painting it on or spraying it.
I doubt you have done any real damage, but I wouldn't use it. Get the correct stuff from Renovo or go with Raggtop or 303. It's all preference because most of the canvas cleaners/waterproofers work just as well as others.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #6

I was very happy with 303, but it is the only one I have used.
Cleaner worked great and the sealer. protectorant was easy to apply and really beads water well.
It also comes from Amazon in two to three days!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #7

Garage
I use both

303 on my boat and raggtop on the boxster. I would tend to lean towards liking the raggtop better. The 303 is easily available at the local marine store and I have to order the raggtop. Both good though.

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #8

Garage
The reason i wanted to use Renovo reviver was because my top was VERY faded. The factory color is suppose to be dark blue and it looked like it was light grey. Its on a 01 boxster and i don't think it has ever been treated. Renovo is the only supplier that i know of that offers this paint application to get your old color back. I did call Ragg topp and 303 and both said their sealers won't give me the original color back but it will stop any further damage.

Here is what i did

I used the Renovo cleaner which was essentially soap. Then I used the Renovo reviver which was essentially paint. I noticed that the paint wasn't totally curing on the top. I mean its dry but if i rub it with some cloth it turns white ish (i assume this was because i didn't seal it). I ended up buying some 303 High Tech Fabric sealer since I didn't want to go back to renovo and wait 5 weeks for my sealer. I sprayed it on this morning (it was messy) and let it dry for about 4 hours in the sun and my top looks BRAND NEW!!! The paint is totally cured on there and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Now only if i can get rid of the stone chips on the bumper i'd be golden lol

Here are my thoughts after the fact.

A) i would probably not go with Renovo again unless my top is totally faded. Renovo is good if you want to paint the top (if sealing is not giving you the "new" look you are going for). I like the fact that you paint it on using a brush rather than spraying it on like 303 and Ragg Topp.

B) I would definitely tape all windows complete. I spent HOURS scrapping paint splatter off all the windows. The glass windows weren't too bad but for the plastic rear window i had to do it with my nails because I found that my nails were the only thing that wasn't scratching it. I have short stubby nails lol,

C) Next summer i would probably buy some more 303 sealer and use it. Even though the spray application was messy, it was very easy to clean and it didn't leave any marks on the plastic window. It is also very affordable. It cost me 19.95 for the bottle. I used up most of the bottle but i have some left over. Also, i can just walk into a store and purchase it up here in Canada rather than having to order it online and pay ridiculous shipping charges.

Thanks for all your help and comments
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #9

Why not call Renovo and discuss the problem with them?

VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote