Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #1

Passenger Airbag deactiv. kit?

986 newb here. I've got a 97 Boxster. Does anyone know of some way to shut off the passenger-side airbag? The manual talks about putting a rear-facing infant seat in the front and attaching it to a buckle under the seat, but I don't have an infant to put in the car, and I wouldn't, even if I did (plus there's no buckle under the seat...)

Maybe there's a kit or something?

Thanks,
Steve

ssitek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #2

What are you trying to accomplish? If you are just trying to shut off a rogue seat belt light then I believe the dealer has to do it (or perhaps a Durametric can do it) ... If you have a child and are placing a child safety seat in the passanger seat (as I did) then you will need both a Porsche seat with the deactivation bar included. It is that bar and seat setup that then has an electrical connection under the passanger seat that lets your car know about the child seat installation. At that point you will still need to visit your dealer to have them deactivate the airbag system when it sees the child seat plugged into it. Hope that helps. If you send me a PM with your email I can forward a copy of the child seat deactivation instructions.
DRL hack
boxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #3

As Boxzilla said there is an airbag deactivation bar for 986s that needs to be installed under the passenger’s seat and then the car's computer needs to be programmed by a dealer to recognize the bar.

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/99680308302.html?Category_Code=986seat

The Porsche branded child seats have the matching buckle that fits into the receptacle on the bar and the airbag is turned off.

FYI: There is a (hard to find) pattern on the internet for reproducing the child seat side of the buckle that can be used with the deactivation bar to turn off the airbag w/o using a Porsche booster seat.