Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
VFX

Vancouver/Fraser Valley/Lower Mainland BC Canada

Vancouver/Fraser Valley Porsche Owners...

Where you you guys get your cars serviced & maintained?

I had my 1st MCL experience & was left disappointed.

You'd think for over $1000.00 spent they'd at least stamp the service book & wash the car.

Also, general politeness, courtesy & answering the phone or returning the customer's calls would go amiss.

I get the feeling I'm not the only one who's had bad service from MCL so I'm wondering what's the alternative? Weissach?

Last edited by VFX; 03-23-2009 at 02:49 PM.
VFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:37 PM   #2

The guys at PCA West recommend the following:

Scan in North Van
Weissach in Vancouver
MB Euro in Vancouver

I'm about to try Vancouver West Motors tomorrow - seem like good guys on the phone and they had space for me tomorrow for an o2 sensor malf.

Last edited by Gent; 03-23-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: schpellinge
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
VFX

Thanks for that.

Cool let us know how it goes.

MCL are killing me with their bad service & Weissach with their high prices.

I'll have to give those others a try next time round.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #4

Sorry - couldn't get into them today - I had the car in for detailing and they took waaaay too long. I'll try again Monday.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #5

MCL costs more than Wiessach.

For engine stuff I use a guy that does it more for a hobby. He really knows his stuff but DO NOT expect car washes, valet service, parking, coffees etc.

Fred is capable of doing engine swaps etc and doesn't charge an arm and a leg. He is pretty much a one man show that is doing it for some extra cash/keeping busy these days. He orders his parts direct from Porsche (so it will still be expensive but he gets a discount).

Fred can be reached at Flat Six 604-438-7007

Disclaimer: If I had a new 997 I would not take my car to Fred but for my aging Boxster I can't justify paying $1K+ every time I need to bring the car in for something.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
VFX

Gent - where do you do your detailing?

Angman - Yep MCL more than Weissash, but Weissach still expensive as parts still come from Porsche Canada.

That's probably 75% of the cost problem.

I may try Flat Six next time round...

I'm sure Fred will park your car & make you a coffee if you asked nicely
Old 03-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #7

I've used Showroom Auto Spa with good detailing results (www.showroomautospa.com). I prefer doing it myself, but sometimes there just isn't time.

I just got back from Vancouver West Motors - turns out I was mistaken and it was my MAF sensor that was borked.

$800 all done. Could be done cheaper, but they were a pleasure to deal with and it was all done in 4 hours -without an appointment- from drop off to pickup. The owner is an enthusiast - if you aren't careful, he'll talk your ear off.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #8

I have only had my Porsche for about 2 months. I order parts from Sunset and have then shipped to Ship Happens in Sumas. Walk across the border and pick them up...No duty or GST paid yet...

I have been to Valley Eurotec in Abbotsford to speak with the guys about the problems I am having with my car. Seem very knowledgeable...a few Porsches in the shop last week when I was in. Never had service their yet.
suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #9

The 604-438-7007 number for Fred/Flat Six is not in service. Does anyone have an updated number? I googled it and noticed that there's another Flat Six in Vancouver

http://www.dannouenterprises.com/Flatsix/index.html

Is this the same company?
legume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #10

indepandent machenic in Van?

Purchased 03 Boxster S from Weissach and found out that the car has an accident record. I would not bought it if I knew it. Since that, I never go to Weissach to do any services. (Bill Ryan was the dealer and not only he has not showen me the accident history but also gave me a deal of $34,600 at first, however he did write $36,400 on contract form and made me pay $1,800 more with that trick.)

Anyway, I have been looking around in Vancouver area to maintain my car, there are two different Porsche mechanic shop in North Van. Scan automotive and Jakob's Porsche specalists. I am pretty sure that they will be dedicated working on your car. My last service was done by Jakob's and I felt much more friendly at Jakob's while MCL and Weissach are only thinking about how to make me pay more. And I saved a LOT. Find Tim at Jakob's.

PS : Is there any shop that only installs or remove parts in Vancouver? becuz I can get all the parts cheaper than any shops around here. Thanks
racincobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #11

Hmmm

Sorry to hear about that. Ive had great service and reasonable pricing with the servicing at Wiessach. Chris and Stewart have always seemed pretty honest in my own dealings. Never bought a car from them so cant comment on that. Kai I hear is a good man...

cworth12001 is offline   Reply With Quote