Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 04:34 AM   #1

Mixing Tire Speed Ratings -- Good Idea?

I found some matching tires at a good price. The fronts are V-rated and the rears are W rated. I have a gently driven (relatively speaking and compared to what I read in some of the posts here) 97 base with 16 inch wheels.

The question is: Does it really matter if the fronts are V and rears are W?

Bradster

Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #2

Very bad idea. Different tires behave differently in extreme cold/hot temperature, and in rain/snow.

My winter tires are V rated.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #3

Agreed...never mismatch tires, especially on a sports car, where handling traits are amplified. Different compounds, tread patterns, etc, will only cause problems that could bite at the wrong time. Even if you drive your car in a moderate fashion, the mismatch could catch you at the wrong time, such as an accident avoidance situation or something as simple as a cool eve/morning.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #4

Fatal...no

Lots of people run slightly mismatched tires using one tread-design/compound on the front axle and another on the rear. NEVER MIX ON THE SAME AXLE.

For example, my favorite tire went out of production. I have good for another 20k miles fronts. Could I put similar tread/compound tires on the back (but not an exact match)? Yes.

Is it best to match? Yes. Is it next best to have the same or very similar tread pattern? Yes. Mix snows (or all-seasons) and summer tires? No...too different.

Having said that, I don't try to save when it comes to tires, I put the best ones on I can find. Spent $1,800+ in the last month on two car's worth of tires...very different tire sets for very different purpose cars. Neither old set was anywhere near the wear bars, both were still legal. But both were getting old and the difference in stopping distance in the wet between a half worn tire and a new one is considerable. I figure that tires can save your life or your car...and I've been betrayed by tires twice in my life...cost me the front end of a VW and a totaled Boxster.

Why not post what type of tire you are looking for...summer only or all-seasons...as there are some not super high priced choices available that lots of people run that do match.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradster
I found some matching tires at a good price. The fronts are V-rated and the rears are W rated. I have a gently driven (relatively speaking and compared to what I read in some of the posts here) 97 base with 16 inch wheels.

The question is: Does it really matter if the fronts are V and rears are W?

Bradster
I worry less about speed rating and more about grip and tire purpose. Both V and W speed ratings meet your cars requirements but are the tread pattern, grip, and purpose the same? My brother mistakenly mounted all season Kumho tires on the rear with Contisports on the front and he said it was like driving on black ice .
Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #6

Garage
as long as you know how the tires will handle come a situation you will be fine. I have dunlop z1star specs on the front and PS1s on the back it causes alot of oversteer. but Since I know exactly how they handle it isnt a big deal. (I also AX on this setup)

but like mike said u can have different fronts and backs but never side to side.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. As always, I appreciate the informed responses I receive from this group.

Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote