View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
mikefocke

Fatal...no

Lots of people run slightly mismatched tires using one tread-design/compound on the front axle and another on the rear. NEVER MIX ON THE SAME AXLE.

For example, my favorite tire went out of production. I have good for another 20k miles fronts. Could I put similar tread/compound tires on the back (but not an exact match)? Yes.

Is it best to match? Yes. Is it next best to have the same or very similar tread pattern? Yes. Mix snows (or all-seasons) and summer tires? No...too different.

Having said that, I don't try to save when it comes to tires, I put the best ones on I can find. Spent $1,800+ in the last month on two car's worth of tires...very different tire sets for very different purpose cars. Neither old set was anywhere near the wear bars, both were still legal. But both were getting old and the difference in stopping distance in the wet between a half worn tire and a new one is considerable. I figure that tires can save your life or your car...and I've been betrayed by tires twice in my life...cost me the front end of a VW and a totaled Boxster.

Why not post what type of tire you are looking for...summer only or all-seasons...as there are some not super high priced choices available that lots of people run that do match.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote