Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #1

Angry Keyfob not working...changed battery

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help, but....

One of my keyfobs was seemingly getting low on battery power. So I've swapped out the battery. It was only out for about five seconds...I know from previous cars that you can't keep some out for too long before they 'lose' the code.

Anyhow, the keyfob now doesn't unlock the car. The red LED flashes once, as opposed to twice on my other fob.

I will be honest and say I will be gobsmacked that when you come to change the battery, you have to take the fob into the dealer to get reprogrammed.....surely this isn't the case? On a few forums I've read postings from taking it to the dealer, to turning the battery upside down and pressing some buttons (?), to unlocking the car manually, putting the key into the ignition, and pressing the unlock button (tried this it didn't seem to work, unless I didn't do it properly).

Can anybody help? Seems absolutely ridiculous that only the dealer can do this. It's only just come from the dealers (yesterday) after having £3750 (circa $5500) worth of work doing to it (replacement cats, roof gearboxes replaced, brakes lines replaced, brake servo replaced, new O2 sensor, two new rear tyres, MOT (yearly department of transport vehicle check), new micro-switch assembly for the roof catch, all the exhaust clamps and heatshields replaced, and separate from the dealer I had the exhaust modification done - the bypass pipes*. So I'm a little peeved I have to go back to the dealer (25 miles away in central London) to get the sodding keyfob done now.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

*Exhaust modification - absolutely worth every penny. Really improves the sound of the exhaust, it's sweetest around 2.5k to 3.5k revs, no resonation in the cabin, sounds much more like the more recent 911s.

willd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #2

I had similar experience. parked and locked the car using remote at a shopping center, came back in 15 minutes and the remote would not unlock the car. I replaced the battery, but remote was still not functioning. LED flashing normally.

Sorry, no help here but information wise,
Each fob has it's own code and that the vehicle must be programmed to with the code off of the fob to work. There is no need to worry that the fob looses it's code without the battery.
$250 to the dealer for replacement and reprogramming the car.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #3

All the tricks people have wrote up, turn the key on, turn off, open door, turn key, blah, blah blah... none work.
I have learned that you have take all your keys and the remotes serial number (piece of paper that should have come with it) back to the dealer to be reprogrammed.
AKA.... your S%#&@#D.
sorry.