Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 05:12 AM   #1

Has anyone dyed a soft top?

Hi guys,

I have a 2000 Boxster S and the rear window is totally beyond saving, and has two little cracks. Courtesy of some lovely breakers I have come across a low mileage facelift 986 model that is being converted to a race car, and can buy the whole roof setup for about the same price as these glass replacement hoods that you can buy for the original frame.

The only problem is that the roof is a darkish blue, and I'd really rather have black. I know there are products out there for dying soft tops, but obviously the materials vary and so do the available options.... So I was curious as to whether anyone had done it on the porsche soft tops?

What is the material of the roof?

Cheers for any help guys!

zeeflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 AM   #2

Garage
I think its a thick canvas. you could call GAHH (board sponsor on left) and just ask them what the OEM material is. Im sure they know. as far as dying it. sorry but I dont have any experience with dyes
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #3

I think this stuff might do the trick.... it actually re dyes the roof as part of the renovation process - and it says it's suitable for canvas, double duck and mohair - the only other one I know of is vinyl and i'm fairly sure the boxster roof isn't vinyl.

Might be worth a try! So long as I don't ruin the roof in the process lol.
zeeflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #4

One of the guys on Rennlist used this on his 993 cab top going from blue to black. Great results. Good luck;

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=190

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote