Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #21
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
The top going up/down while moving is standard on the 987 and I have NEVER used this feature. Think its interesting that so many people are doing 'hacks' to make that work. How often does it rain and you don't have time to raise the top at a stop light etc.... and the speedlimit is sufficient for closing the top while moving. Hasn't happened to me yet.
Has happened to me at least 3 times already since I've owned my car. Scenario is usually that I have the top down, and driving on the freeway or two laner, and there's no convenient place to pull over, or not safe to pull over, and then it starts pouring. Traffic is moving slow, but still moving, so I'm not gonna come to a full stop to annoy the folks behind me. IMO, this hack is terrific. Besides, it just looks so cool to put the top up/down while moving. LOL

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #22

drburton,
My car is not a DD and so when I do get out I run almost exlusively with the top down no matter if it is perfectly sunny and warm or not (just can't get enough of the fun). Anyway since my purchase last August I have had the rain thing happen to me at least a handfull of times...admittedly not that big of a deal. However at the risk of sounding redundant here, the minimal effort needed to pull this hack off really made it a no brainer for me.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #23

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
If I were to tape pin 18, would I still have to hold the button down to raise and lower the top?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
If I were to tape pin 18, would I still have to hold the button down to raise and lower the top?
YES. It sounds like it.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #25

Yes, you still have to hold the button down but now you can do it while the car is moving...
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #26

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Ah, ok, well its still a useful modd in the hands of the responsible.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #27

what happened to those guys selling that one touch switch for $100? I need to send them an email now that its top down season...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
what happened to those guys selling that one touch switch for $100? I need to send them an email now that its top down season...
Never seen it that low. Ceapest I've seen it advertised for was $199.00
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #29

I think Perfectlap is talking about a different component that just affects the dash switch. Basically imitates you holding the switch down to open/close the top.

That, in combination with the pin18 mod might be a cheap way to get the 'auto top' functionality for cheaper.

.... I might try it.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #30

I have the other solution, the Bahntech Autotop (http://www.bahntech.com/products/AutoTop/default.asp). I think this is the one P/L is referring to? I got mine for less than the $157 it is now on that site (I think we had a group buy on them once). Works a treat, love the 1 push auto up/down. I did not do the speed sensor part of it (at least I don't remember doing that part), so I still stop to move the top.

Last edited by donv; 06-04-2007 at 03:36 PM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #31

john v i think sold the top hacks works perfect
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #32

1 touch caution?

Hi folks,
First post. Bought an '03 S on Memorial Day. I've been an early 912 driver since 1989. Need to learn to drive all over again! Nice power increase over the '68 .
When I had a PPI done on the Boxster, at RMG, Bob told me about a repair he did as a result of the aftermarket 1 touch relay. I guess one of the top cables broke and the top continued to try to close, twisting the frame into a useless mess of bent parts. Said it was a $5K repair! I don't know how common a broken top cable is but keep a sharp eye on the top as it closes. I do love the 1 touch feature especially with the glass rear window. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the near future. Great site and civilized members.
Tony
TonyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #33

Yep, if you choose to do a mod like this, you do need to keep your wits about you... monitor the top's performance, make sure it's not doing anything goofy.

I think I will try to get a unit like the autotop, that way I can keep the stock controller and swap it back in if needed.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #34

Did the same process tonight and it works great. Wife will be much happier next time we run into a freak hailstorm in fast moving traffic and no real shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquelfe
I just wrapped tape around the #18pin in the top relay. I was a little leary of breaking the pin. It went in perfectly and works pretty good. Its not to practical most of the time but sure does help when your driving and it starts raining. I wish i had the one button hack done.

eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote