Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to faheemf1
Warranty wont replace part because of noise. Upper/lower/track arm difference?

I've been hearing this clunking noise coming from my passenger side rear suspension every time I went over bumps. Recently in addition to that clunk I've been hearing a squeeking / creeking noise at low speeds as well.
Now I have done my research before writing this post. After reading all the posts it seems like its coming from either my control arm or like a sway bar link?

I also have a third party warranty on the car and so yesterday I took it to Porsche of Arlington in VA. They claim that my rear track arms need to be replaced. Problem is my warranty company wont cover it since the part has not failed. According to them, it making noise does not mean it needs to be replaced. But the noise is making me nuts.

Three questions.
1. Anyone has any idea how I can convince the warranty company to pay for the rear track arm replacement or how I can convince them that it is defective?

2. How many upper or lower control arms are there in the front and rear and how many upper or lower track arms are there in the front and rear?

3. Is there any lubricants I can use to make the noise go away?

Thank you very much for reading my post.

Last edited by faheemf1; 10-18-2007 at 07:41 AM.
faheemf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #2

I can help you with one of them:

The squeaking problem is caused by the grease in the "sealed joint" getting out somehow. What I did was to take a small drill bit and punched a hole (by hand, not with the bit in a drill) in the top of the boot that covers the joint. I asked my local pharmacist for a syringe without a needle and sucked some Green Grease into it. I then poked the syringe tip in the hole I made in the boot and filled it up. Since I used a drill bit to make the hole, the twist made the hole a little spiraled so it closes itself nicely. Since then (over a year now) I have no squeaks and no loose ball joints so they are not wearing down.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #3

Thank you very much for your reply. Can you please tell me where or what exactly is the sealed joint?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:38 AM   #4

Your mechanic should be the one telling them it is defective. The ball joint is a metal ball that sits in a teflon cup, it is lubricated with some type of grease, eventually the grease dries out and the metal ball wears on the teflon cup, this is the squeak. If you use some method to relubricate it as deliriousga did you should be ok. If you continue to drive with it in this state the metal ball wears away the cup, now the part is damaged and is likely the source of the 'clunk' you hear. You now have significant play in the rear suspension which can cause geometry changes under cornering, braking acceleration etc. This makes the car dangerous to drive. If you continue to drive it in this state the part will fail and cause major damage when the ball joint fails and the wheel tries to part company with the car.

Ask the company if they are prepared to pay for a major law suit after the part fails and you suffer injury from the accident caused by their failure to replace a worn out part.

Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tholyoak
Your mechanic should be the one telling them it is defective. The ball joint is a metal ball that sits in a teflon cup, it is lubricated with some type of grease, eventually the grease dries out and the metal ball wears on the teflon cup, this is the squeak. If you use some method to relubricate it as deliriousga did you should be ok. If you continue to drive with it in this state the metal ball wears away the cup, now the part is damaged and is likely the source of the 'clunk' you hear. You now have significant play in the rear suspension which can cause geometry changes under cornering, braking acceleration etc. This makes the car dangerous to drive. If you continue to drive it in this state the part will fail and cause major damage when the ball joint fails and the wheel tries to part company with the car.

Ask the company if they are prepared to pay for a major law suit after the part fails and you suffer injury from the accident caused by their failure to replace a worn out part.

Todd
amen. take his post, and paste it into an email to the company.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:17 AM   #6

I am sorry and I don't mean to sound dumb. From this attached picture which ball joint am I supposed to lubricate. I have already replaced the track rod but that didn't make squeek go away.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #7

If the tech said your lower control arm needs replaced it is item #9

Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #8

Porsche said that I needed to replace the track arms. Which I did (Item #17) but the squeeking is still there. The flapping / clunking noise everytine I went over bumps are gone. Which ball joint should I grease?

Last edited by faheemf1; 11-14-2007 at 10:02 AM.