Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #1

Seat repair

Hi

What is the best route to take for seat repair/reupholstery, my passenger seat is cracked and ripped, I was wondering if anyone has a reupholsterer that they have used? or used replacement seats, it is a pleasure (mostly stock) car, so full on race seats wont go over well with the wife, but I do love the 911 seats with the embroidered crest,

Any help is appreciated

sorry 99 box 986, gray interior, arena red exterior

jakell2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #2

List of sources

at the bottom of this page http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/listsofsources
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #3

I looked into re-upholstering my seats last year and the quotes I got were in the $1500 to $2500 range. The problem was that for every upholsterer I checked out I found mixed reviews - some peeps said they were good while others said they were a drunken horror show. I've seen bad upholstery and I just didn't want to take the chance on getting a poor job.

This might be your lucky day. I have a 99 box with the grey interior and regular seats - manual sliders with power recline. My drivers seat is a bit rough with a couple of tears, but the passenger seat is almost perfect - very minimal wear.

Why is this lucky, you ask? I've just bought a pair of gorgeous black sports seats (with the crest) and when they show up in a few days I will be looking to sell off my present ones. The shipping from Toronto to Winnipeg is going to be $175 for my new seats and, as the distance from me to you isn't much further, I'm guessing that it would definitely be under $200 to get my old ones to you, even with crossing the border. Probably less if I put them on the bus. I'd want $400 for the pair (sorry - won't sell just one, unless you want to pay $400 for it but save some shipping money) and you can likely recoup some of that by selling off the two ratty ones.

Another option is seat covers. I bought a pair of black neoprene seat covers from RandallNeighbor as a short term fix and they actually look decent. I paid $60 plus shipping for them and that's what I would pass them on to you for if you were interested.

Anyway, pm me if you are interested.

Mark
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #4

I had two seats with cracked leather on my 97. I bought two Coverking mesh seat covers for $119.00 total. Took about 10 minutes to install with the seats out. Everyone says they look like they came with the car. Great looking and very comfortable. Takes about three weeks as they are custom made for each car.

Bradster
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakell2010
Hi

What is the best route to take for seat repair/reupholstery, my passenger seat is cracked and ripped, I was wondering if anyone has a reupholsterer that they have used? or used replacement seats, it is a pleasure (mostly stock) car, so full on race seats wont go over well with the wife, but I do love the 911 seats with the embroidered crest,

Any help is appreciated

sorry 99 box 986, gray interior, arena red exterior

I am just outside of Philadelphia and I have 2 gray seats for sale out of a 1998 Boxster with 41K on them when I took them out. The passenger side seat is perfect, here is a link to some of the parts that I am selling off, there are a few good photos of the seats.

http://web.me.com/chriskellett/Spec_Boxster/Boxster_Parts_for_sale.html

Thanks!
syncspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #6

By the way, don't forget to disconnect your battery before you remove the seats or you'll have to get the airbag light on your dash reset.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #7

Porsche sells replacement seat covers.

The PN #s vary depending on your material and color.

Cheers!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote