Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #1

Shifting Question, is it normal?

Hi,

I recently drove my firends 2003 BoxsterS ... and realized that shifting in my 2000 base... suck plain and simple...
It was always hard to put it in gear.. but I thought it's normal.. so I did some tests:

1. When car is stopped (with engine running) I can easily shift to any gear
2. On low RPM's it's relatively easy to shift problem starts when I try to shift (especially doenshift) at higher rpms. Higher means 1500 for 2nd to 1st and 2000 for 3rd to 2nd
3. I was going downhill in neutral at about 50mph.. I pushed clutch to the floor and put it in 2nd gear..(without releasing the clutch) it was really hard to shift into gear and I felt movement in stick... like something was massaging it

Same behavior is for 1st gear, 3rd gear.. higher gears not so much

Is it normal?

Car is 2000 base boxster on original clutch and engine mount (mount is shot I think..)
I tested clutch and it works like magic, no slippage.. about same amount of force to push as in my friends 2003..

Any iddeas what it could be?

Thanks
Sasha

PS: it happens for all gears not only for 2nd

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #2

BTW this is how I tested the clutch.. if anyone have better ideeas please tell me

1. When going 20mph I put in 5th gear and slammed gas pedal to the floor
If the RPM's go high up.. clutch is dead.. RPM's stayed steady.. but my heart rate went to 180.. I was expecting IMS failure
2. While standing put it in 5th gear and slooooooowly depress the clutch.. if car stalls clutch is good

Any other ideeas?

I do plan to change the clutch next year.. justifying 3k expense 2 month after I bought the car to my wife is impossible

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #3

front engine mount
Old 04-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #4

Tough Shifting

Since you state that while the car is still the shifting is easy, you might have synchro issues in your transmission. Clutch may also be contributing to your issues. How is the Clutch master fluid level? Any leaking evident from the clutch slave?

Last edited by Kochman; 04-28-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Kochman is offline   Reply With Quote