Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 04:31 AM   #1

Possible engine failure

I took the 2001 986 S out for a ride yesterday and it ran fine all day long, on the way home I got some funny behavior on the way home. It felt like I was pulling out in second gear when I would lug it down and started lighting up the sel. I got home and plugged in the comp and it had 6 codes, One code being multiple cylinder misfire detected and individual misfire on cyl2 cyl3 cyl4 cyl5 cyl6. I assumed that it was either a spark or fuel issue. Changed the fuel filter and started it, started up, ran a little rough, I give it a little bit of throttle to see if it would balance out, maby a blip of 4k or 5k and it had a sudden rapping. I turned it off immediately, upon trying to restart the starter wont turn it over at all. I opened the shroud behind the seats, took off the serp belt and checked all the accessories, they all spin fine. I put a mark on the crank pully and put a wrench on it and spun the motor, it spins one 360 rev and stops dead and the same the other way. I at this point am thinking maybe swallowed valve but I am not sure, just doesn't add up to the fact that I drove it running a little rough for 10 miles and it ran fine and then failure.

ltaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #2

humm.. sounds like quite the perdicament.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #3

sounds like something broke and is in the cylinder...you can pull the spark plugs and look for a plug thats beat up ,then rocker cover for that bank. could be "d chunk" cylinder damage...i hope for you but i dont think its gonna be a pretty or cheap picture
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #4

I am not sure you would get all those codes a valve dropping, but it sounds like.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #5

I wonder if yor timing slipped and that's what caused the rough idle. Then because the vario-cam kicked in when you blipped the throttle thus altering the timing eve further caused a colission of valve to piston.

Never a good thing though.

Chris
Old 04-26-2010, 04:45 AM   #6

That certainly sounds feasible, do dealers typically tear down engines and rebuild. Or am I looking at a crate motor if it only needs a piston and valve and timing chain and tuned up. Terrified to take it to a dealer because I am thinking that even if it doesn't need a new motor I am sure I will be getting billed for one, even if this one is rebuild-able.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:15 AM   #7

Sounds brutal

Hopefully it will work out. H8 to hear that you were enjoying a nice drive then this happens. I think in the back of my mind I always worry about this possibility. Its hard to know if and where it will happen to you. Good luck with the repairs and keep us posted so we will know what to look for in the future.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #8

You can purchase a new crate motor on ebay right now $10K to $12K for new complete crate motors. Also, for less than $5k you can get a rebuilt one. First, be sure what happened, who knows it may be something much cheaper to fix...but always have a plan B.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #9

waazzz up ?
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #10

Ok as it is looking like it may be the block as the dealer told me that as they were pressurizing the coolant system it was spewing antifreeze out the intake. What are the options for something bigger since it seems like I will need a new block. I have read that a 3.4 will be pretty easy to stick into a 2001 s. Who are the recommended vendors of motors and what is the easiest motor to match up since it looks like I am not getting out of this with less than a 12k bill. If im gonna spend the money may as well get something bigger if I can for a reasonable price.