986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Possible engine failure (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24564)

ltaudio 04-25-2010 04:31 AM

Possible engine failure

I took the 2001 986 S out for a ride yesterday and it ran fine all day long, on the way home I got some funny behavior on the way home. It felt like I was pulling out in second gear when I would lug it down and started lighting up the sel. I got home and plugged in the comp and it had 6 codes, One code being multiple cylinder misfire detected and individual misfire on cyl2 cyl3 cyl4 cyl5 cyl6. I assumed that it was either a spark or fuel issue. Changed the fuel filter and started it, started up, ran a little rough, I give it a little bit of throttle to see if it would balance out, maby a blip of 4k or 5k and it had a sudden rapping. I turned it off immediately, upon trying to restart the starter wont turn it over at all. I opened the shroud behind the seats, took off the serp belt and checked all the accessories, they all spin fine. I put a mark on the crank pully and put a wrench on it and spun the motor, it spins one 360 rev and stops dead and the same the other way. I at this point am thinking maybe swallowed valve but I am not sure, just doesn't add up to the fact that I drove it running a little rough for 10 miles and it ran fine and then failure.

tnoice 04-25-2010 07:35 AM

humm.. sounds like quite the perdicament.

extanker 04-25-2010 07:53 AM

sounds like something broke and is in the cylinder...you can pull the spark plugs and look for a plug thats beat up ,then rocker cover for that bank. could be "d chunk" cylinder damage...i hope for you but i dont think its gonna be a pretty or cheap picture

jcb986 04-25-2010 11:03 AM

I am not sure you would get all those codes a valve dropping, but it sounds like. :eek:

Dragonwind 04-25-2010 02:52 PM

I wonder if yor timing slipped and that's what caused the rough idle. Then because the vario-cam kicked in when you blipped the throttle thus altering the timing eve further caused a colission of valve to piston.

Never a good thing though.

Chris

ltaudio 04-26-2010 04:45 AM

That certainly sounds feasible, do dealers typically tear down engines and rebuild. Or am I looking at a crate motor if it only needs a piston and valve and timing chain and tuned up. Terrified to take it to a dealer because I am thinking that even if it doesn't need a new motor I am sure I will be getting billed for one, even if this one is rebuild-able.

97 Boxster 04-26-2010 05:15 AM

Sounds brutal

Hopefully it will work out. H8 to hear that you were enjoying a nice drive then this happens. I think in the back of my mind I always worry about this possibility. Its hard to know if and where it will happen to you. Good luck with the repairs and keep us posted so we will know what to look for in the future.

jcb986 04-26-2010 09:47 AM

You can purchase a new crate motor on ebay right now $10K to $12K for new complete crate motors. Also, for less than $5k you can get a rebuilt one. First, be sure what happened, who knows it may be something much cheaper to fix...but always have a plan B.:cheers:

extanker 04-27-2010 10:56 AM

waazzz up ?

ltaudio 04-28-2010 01:00 PM

Ok as it is looking like it may be the block as the dealer told me that as they were pressurizing the coolant system it was spewing antifreeze out the intake. What are the options for something bigger since it seems like I will need a new block. I have read that a 3.4 will be pretty easy to stick into a 2001 s. Who are the recommended vendors of motors and what is the easiest motor to match up since it looks like I am not getting out of this with less than a 12k bill. If im gonna spend the money may as well get something bigger if I can for a reasonable price.