Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #1

Weak Startup

When I turn on the ignition, the engine seems to have a hard time rolling over. It always does, but I get the feeling it shouldn't have such a hard time. It doesn't have this problem all the time, but I would say it's 50/50. I just switched out my spark plugs in my daily driver and afterwards I was amazed at how well it started up. Could the spark plugs be my problem? I haven't replaced them since I've owned the vehicle for about 2 years and put about 12k on it. I don't know how long before I owned the car it's been replaced.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #2

if it has a sluggish turnover, you might want to check the battery. Battery might be on its way out.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

my car is the same thing. when i got my ppi the dealer said i was going to need a new battery
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #4

Mine is slightly slower than most other cars I've had. I got the battery tested, and it was fine. I haven't heard any other boxsters to compare, but I thought it might be related to the higher compression ratio of these engines?

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

I just bought a 2002 boxster s and it does the same thing, in fact i asked this same question on another forum a couple of days ago. It always starts up just fine, but it just seems to turn over the motor in slow motion, like it has a low battery.
rabidewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #6

I never thought about the battery. I'll have it checked out. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #7

Mine did that as well, put a new battery in and same thing. Eventually the starter started its squeal once in a great while. It carried on like this for over a year and I finally had a new starter put in a couple months ago. Now it turns over quite quickly!

My point is it may be the starter getting tired, but of course check the battery as the others suggested first.

Chris
Old 04-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #8

Battery checked out fine. What a weird day. I get home from advanced auto and get in my daily driver...my battery is dead. Hasn't been dead in years. Lights weren't left on. Unexplainable. I go back to advanced auto, they say I need a new starter. I go to autozone for second opinion and they say everything checked out fine. Not only that, but they made an excellent point about how if it was indeed the starter, then I wouldn't have been able to jump it using my roomates vehicle. Guess I won't go to advanced auto for battery testing anymore.
Tomorrow I think I will go to autozone and have them check out my porsche battery/alternator/starter.