Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #1

Stumped on Intermittant chirp

I checked the pentosin level, replaced the belt, roller and tensioner bearings, the A/O (which made got rid of 95% of the problem) yet there is still a intermittent chirp. Sounds cheap and ruins the new lower header octave. It seems to accelerate when the car does then I lose track of it in the other engine noise. I'm used to a power steering pump squeaking in a long rotational sounding squeal. This is like staccato notes, oh and if it matters one of the valves is ticking which is normal for my car when first out for spring. Could it be the rear engine mount on that side?

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #2

Nothing, crickets? I l already have crickets that the point!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #3

no help here, but mine does the same thing. started after ( i think, at least i never noticed before ) i replaced the serpentine belt. a few weeks ago i took the belt off and put it back on. seems to be a lot "softer" now and i barely notice it. i'm wondering if it might be a pulley getting old or tensioner going bad.

like you it's a steady chirp when idle, gets faster when i accelerate and eventually either goes away or gets drowned out by the other engine noises.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

Same hear. Replaced my belt about 4 months back and about 2 weeks after that, I started hearing something like a chirp. The fix, drive longer until it gets louder...now it's starting to squeal. It is one of the 3 belt bearings, will know this weekend when I get into it.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #5

I replaced all my bearings including the tensioner, this sounds like it's coming from the left rear, PS pump or AC compressor maybe but reacts differently upon acceleration. What clue I don't understand at all is why the A/O replacement reduced it. It makes my really beautiful Porsche with 31k on it sound like a ********************box, I'm not lovin it..
Old 04-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
I replaced all my bearings including the tensioner, this sounds like it's coming from the left rear, PS pump or AC compressor maybe but reacts differently upon acceleration. What clue I don't understand at all is why the A/O replacement reduced it. It makes my really beautiful Porsche with 31k on it sound like a ********************box, I'm not lovin it..
This is why I waited to see if I would get a bearing on the border line, fail. The A/C, PS pump or alternator could have a weak bearing. Those new belts add a lot of stress of those items until it stretches a little. Not only that, I bought a Porsche belt, oh well.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
This is why I waited to see if I would get a bearing on the border line, fail. The A/C, PS pump or alternator could have a weak bearing. Those new belts add a lot of stress of those items until it stretches a little. Not only that, I bought a Porsche belt, oh well.

I don't think it's the belt as they are very specifically measured to application and the tensioner keeps an even torque, besides this started last year with the OEM belt and bearings. I bought a gates belt I think they would be very good quality. If it's the PS pump you replace the unit, no bearing job there unless you know something I don't. I was going to take it all apart again but I am still hoping someone who works on Boxsters will read this thread and help all of us with the dreaded, cheezy chirp.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #8

check this out:

Vehicle noise: On cars with a manual transmission, the power-steering-pump belt may squeal during parking maneuvers. Replacing the original aluminum pulley with a steel pulley eliminates the noise. (1997-98)

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1997-to-2004-porsche-boxster-2.htm

Brad Roberts told me some of the engines came with steel pulleys. OK so it might not wind up as fast, I'll take the reduction in squeal. I wonder if the dismantle locations have the steel variety?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #9

Is it this noise (right click, save as)

(Thanks to John V over at Renntech for posting that)

This was killing me until I found this video with the same damn noise. In this case, and mine, it was a goddamn loose spark plug. Unbelievable, and you'll encounter a lot of mechanics that will swear it can't be the case without throwing a light, but it does.
Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gent
Is it this noise (right click, save as)

(Thanks to John V over at Renntech for posting that)

This was killing me until I found this video with the same damn noise. In this case, and mine, it was a goddamn loose spark plug. Unbelievable, and you'll encounter a lot of mechanics that will swear it can't be the case without throwing a light, but it does.

Hey you recorded my car!! That my friend is exactly the noise I'm chasing my a$$ on. I want to thank you in advance, even if that isn't it I would have never thought to check the plugs. Based on the sound file, I hope to find one loose.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 04-10-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #11

Gent, I can't thank you enough, for that perfect information. This BB has been a godsend this year. The information on my headers was crucial but this was a spot on diagnosis, two loose plugs. Now all I can hear is the sweet tune of Stuttgart blowing through the new headers and the Dansk SS muffler, I really love the way the car sounds now. I must say though a ride with the top up is going to be pretty loud... Oh well good thing it's down most of the time!

It's still very hard to understand what was making that noise, one would think air blowing by the plug would not sound like a squeak, anyhow, thank you very much.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #12

Smile

Glad I could help! I know I was seriously worried about my car before I found that clip.

Gent is offline   Reply With Quote