Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #1

Top Replacement Western Massachussetts

Has anyone in the western mass area (albany NY, Springfield MA, Hartford CT) ever had there top replaced or could recommend a shop that you have seen there work? I have called a couple local shops and dealers and it seems not to be a popular job. Guess everybody wants to change oil and tires. The back window on my 2002 boxster split and insurance said they would cover it so it's not like I am looking for the cheapests, just want it done right. It doesn't have to be stock, I would actually prefer a glass back window so I guess GAHH would probably fit the bill. Any input would be helpfull.

Todd

og57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #2

Installers

There is a link in the GAHH site to find recommended installers in your area.
http://www.gahh.com/find_installer.php
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #3

I used New England Trim, Shrewsbury, MA, and I'd recommend them

I had the top replaced with a GAHH top on my '99 about a year and half ago by New England Trim in Shrewsbury, MA (just west of Worcester, MA).
www.newenglandtrim.com‎

They were highly recommended to me by a local custom car club, and although I've only had the one job done there, I thought the service and quality was top-notch. They had done a number of GAHH tops before mine, and the top looks great and operates perfectly.

Don't mean this to sound like a sales pitch - just know how stressful it is to have someone work on your Boxster, and thought I'd recommend someone not too far away.

Feel free to PM with questions. I do have to say that if I'd realized that I could retrofit an '03 (please double-check the discussion threads on it before you quote me) with four bows, I would have. I love the look of the GAHH top, but I would've liked the better service access as well, as I do all my own maintenance.

-Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by og57
Has anyone in the western mass area (albany NY, Springfield MA, Hartford CT) ever had there top replaced or could recommend a shop that you have seen there work? I have called a couple local shops and dealers and it seems not to be a popular job. Guess everybody wants to change oil and tires. The back window on my 2002 boxster split and insurance said they would cover it so it's not like I am looking for the cheapests, just want it done right. It doesn't have to be stock, I would actually prefer a glass back window so I guess GAHH would probably fit the bill. Any input would be helpfull.

Todd
machone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:42 AM   #4

I am in Long Island NY and I just had to replace my rear window. Unfortunately the place I had it done would be too far for you, but my recommendation would be to remove the top and bring it to wherever you have it done for two reasons:

1. You don't have to leave your car there and not run the risk of any body damage as most shops are constantly moving cars around based on what the hot job is etc. I try to limit the amount of time that other people are driving my car.
2. You can still drive the car on nice days with roof removed.

Just some advice based on my recent experience
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #5

Search under Forum, Top Replacement...you will find the info you need.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies, all are very helpfull. Worchester is a little for for me (2 Hours+), but I may check them out since it's nice to know they did the job right. I have searched the site, but will again. It sucks living in the dead zone.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #7

Call Musante Motorsports in South Windsor CT. He has a package price that is very reasonable and the install is done by the guy who does them for Hoffman Porsche.
I've been very happy with my install.
Chris
Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #8

I'm about to tackle replacing my top on my own. I've done lots of research so I'm not too worried about it, but dennis' suggestion got my attention. I haven't seen it suggested anywhere that you can remove the top to install the new canvas. Can you really do that? Would there be any advantage to the guy doing it himself to do it that way?
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #9

It depends on the person you use. I asked a guy who does them for porsche and he said he would rather remove canvas from roof while still attached from car, but I finally found someone who did it cheaper and said it helped since they could remove the canvas on a bench. Common sense would tell me that the latter would be true all the time, and plus you are not without your car and your car cannot get damaged in the process. just my two cents
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #10

I took Spinnaker's advice and went to the GAHH website. There was a guy from Richmond mass. (town and country) that my my father recognized from about 30 years ago. He ordered and installed the top for me, did a very good job, very quickly. The price seemed to be inline with everyone else and, I would recommend to anyone.

Todd

Thanks for the help!!