Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #1

air conditioning

Just bought a 2002 boxster S, the air conditioning has not been used since last year due to storage. I went to get it serviced today and it has plenty of freon its just not engaging(the compressor) Is there a relay or something that is common with the boxster??? Why is my air not working?? plz help.

rabidewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #2

Maybe start by telling us what buttons you pushed and

and what the HVAC display is showing. Describe every symbol and number.

Lets make sure you are doing the right things considering the car is new to you.

If you need an owner's manual, ask.

We seldom see A/C failures.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #3

It could be a fuse or a switch. Mike gave you a good suggestion.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #4

k, im trying to figure this car out, sorry but what do you mean by HVAC display and how do i call it up?? Im currently going through these owners manuals trying understand. I ordered the AC compressor relay a while ago and it will be here at 4:30 this evening. Hopefully that is it, and i did check all the fuses.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #5

Top of the Center console. The boxster is a pretty smart car. I assume you've hit the "auto" button and dialed the temperature setting all the way down to "low?" The compressor should come on in 30 seconds or so if you do that. If the temperature it senses in the cabin is less than the temperature that's set on the HVAC controller I don't think the compressor will come on, even if you hit the little snowflake.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #6

oh yes, im used to climate controlled cars, and i tried turning the snowflake off and on. It blows, its just not cooling at all. Heater works great. Freon is fine. hopefully its just the relay.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #7

Hvac

Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning. The display which is in the center console that displays the settings for the A/C controls. 2 panels LCD. It is easy to get the controls wrong so by seeing the display (take a picture and post it) we can be sure that the settings are correct for making the A/C turn on. What is the outside temp.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #8

My AC suddenly quit working yesterday... blowing hot air. I'm going to start with the basics, checking fuses and relays this evening. My service manual is at my other house so I'll be flying blind for a few days. My question is where is the relay?

Thanks!

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #9

To check if the compressor is turning on, hit the Auto button on your climate control then move the temperature down until it says Lo. You should hear a drag on the motor, but if you really want to make sure you should remove the panel behind the seats to see if the compressor clutch is engaging. If it's not engaging, then I would start checking relays, etc. It doesn't do much good to check the refrigerant level unless the compressor is turned on anyway.

If you need it, I have a relay chart for the 2000 Boxster on my website at http://www.theschillings.com/pcars.htm Click on the Boxster site then look under "Where Is It".
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #10

Thanks. I'll hit the auto button and put it on Lo first. I'll check for the distinctive load when the compressor kicks in. I'm pretty sure it's not kicking in... I would have noticed that. I think I'll run home at lunch and give it a try. I'll report back back in a few hours

Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #11

Well... I'm a total idiot I hit the Auto button then it worked! Jeez, I must have bumped it out of "auto mode" the other day. Anyhow thank you for the advice before I started down the path of taking apart my car, lol. I owe you a cold beer!!!!

I was so happy I wanted to post this pic...

Old 07-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #12

Geez...thanks for the tip...usually it's something simple.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote