Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #1

New Member from Texas

Hi all,

Im a new member from the Houston, TX suburbs. I am looking to purchase a used boxster as a second car that will see weekly use - probably daily in the sunny spring and summer days. I had a BMW M3 prior to purchasing my Hummer and I really miss the sports car driving excitement!

That being said, what should i beware of when looking to purchase a used '00-'03 boxster?

wake&moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #2

Garage
I just bought one and still a newbie but I can provide some comments/guidance:
1. Leaks. Check for leaks between the transmission/engine. Boxsters are well known for having them on the Rear Main Seal (RMS) what in itself is a very small/affordable part but the amount of work to get it done (in case someone will do it for you) is not small so labor is expensive.
2. Clutch. If it needs a new one, perfect time to change the RMS so you do not pay for the exact same labor twice. Not that I need a new one right now but as it is relatively inexpensive (Clutch Kit from Sachs OEM, you can get around $350-400 - labor at least where I am is around $500).
3. Try to get someone to read whatever codes the car has/had on the computer log so you can get an idea of what it has been through.
4. The Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) is another part that dies over time with heat on the engine. I know tons of people here keep cleaning it and putting it back but again, ideally it should be replaced probably every 40,000-50,000 miles. For a $300 part that can be replaced very easily, I see no point IMHO of cleaning it. I would not mind at all replacing it every 3-4 years (what means less than $10 a month). Check when this was replaced the last time.
5. Check if the car was modified to use a third party air filter for the intake. Some crazy people use oiled filters and they DO screw up the MAF. I put a new MAF last week and the old one was indeed all dirty/screwed up thanks to the oiled air filter. Now putting all the original air box back.
6. IMHO, if the owner has been treating this car as a Honda Civic, modding it and trying to get that extra HP out of it, I would walk away. As the one I got had only the air box changed (but the owner has every single original part he changed and complete service records) I thought it was ok for me. If the car had anything else changed that brings it to Honda Civic league mods I would NOT have bought it.

Again these are my own views/comments on the subject. Others may disagree completely with me. So take them with a grain of salt.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #3

Welcome

I'm pretty new to the site myself, and a Boxster owner for less than an year, so I don't have a lot to contribute. But I can give you a couple of thoughts.

- In 2003 the rear window became a standard feature. Prior to that year, it was an option. I get the impression that most people prefer the glass window (I do).

- I think everyone will agree... Have the car inspected at a Porsche dealer. I did. Even so, my ignition switch is having fits (sounds like a pretty common problem). The guy I got it from is going to split the cost of the repair.

- Finally, make sure it is really what you want. I think that all Boxster drivers will also agree that a Boxster is a car for cornering and handling, not racing down a streight away. This forum (and others like it) are scattered with posts about making a Boxster faster. The Boxster is quick, and many threads can help you make it quicker. But, from what I read, if you want to go 0-60 in 4 seconds, it ain't going to happen. Without major engine changes (and a lot of $), you are not going to get a huge boost in power. (That doesn't mean I have not considered some mods for my car, I have indeed. But I am very happy with it the way it is.)

Good luck.
backman_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #4

Also, several of the guys on this site have sites of their own with a lot of info. Here is the link to one of them, run be RandallNeighbour:
http://www.iwantaporsche.net/BoxsterBuyersTips.htm

I also presume that you have seen this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14685&page=3&pp=20

backman_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #5

Welcome

Wow, your intro sounds so similar to mine. I used to own a 96 M3 and loved that car until I sold it to purchase a Hummer. After owning the hummer for a few years I needed something that handled better (and was better on gas) so I purchased my 97 back in September of 09. I love the car and you do need to look carefully. There are several out there (or at least in Utah where I moved from) and so I would use caution while narrowing down your search.

Hope you enjoy it once you find it. It is definately NOT an M3 but the fun factor is so much more with this Boxster. You will love the sound and the handling IMHO is impressive and better than my M3 was.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the responses! Hope to see yall someday at a Porsche event.
I took the first step and test drove a cayman today @ Porsche north... i was really impressed with the car but it lacked that fun factor of the drop top.

97 Boxster, i dont blame you as the Hummer is probably the most expensive non british/italian vehicle to drive lol and since youve owned one you know what im talking about (12 mpg, brakes and tires once a year... oh yea, 12mpg). I def want to reduce it to weekend toy hauler role asap!!!

Based on ya'lls feedback and my shopping to date I'm looking for an S model with rear glass and red or cocoa interior with under 40k miles.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #7

Garage
Welcome to the board.

We have quite a few Houston Boxster owners around, actually Randall Neighbour and I were talking last weekend about getting a little road trip going soon, I am over in Kingwood and Randall is in the city.

Just make sure you get a PPI performed prior, I have a 2000 base for the last 4 years and have not had any issues with exception to the coolant expansion tank getting a hairline crack and needing to be replaced.

The cars are not too bad for a DIY'er as I replaced the tank myself and currently doing "pre-summer fun" maintenance (rotors, brakes, plugs, fluid flush and serpentine belt) not that it was all required but once you start and have it up on stands I figured to knock it all out

Besides Randall's site once you do get it, a nice site is Pedrosgarage.com (where I learn so much from).

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #8

Get one with a TIP and you will never regret it. No clutches, the IMS seems to be more a problem with sticks. Less stress on the rear engine seal. And you can go manual, and believe me, it is really fun to shift with your thumbs. And it's fast.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #9

Wake, I'm happy to help you do a pre-purchase inspection of any Box you find that you want to buy in the Houston area. Not the kind that a real Porsche tech does, but the kind a guy who has replaced every friggin' part on his car at least once might do with a vengeance.

I live near downtown Houston, btw.

Additionally, if you want to come over and see my car and talk through the stuff that goes wrong with them, I'm happy to do that for you too.

PM me if you're interested and provide your cell #
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #10

WOW, thanks for the awesome responses guys!! Randall, I will have to take you up on that offer, I will PM you my contact info.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #11

Just wanted to say Hi from Houston, Texas nice pictures,,,