Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:40 AM   #1

Garage
Wevo front motor mount

Just got the part from Wevo, the semi solid motor mount looks to be the business. Nicely designed, very solid and heavier in the hand than you would think looking at the pics on the website. I am going to install this weekend.

When the conversion was done on my car the rear trans mounts were upgraded but the front motor mount was not. Methinks it is a source of vibration considering that it has the 3.6 torquing on it.

I will report back how it goes and what improvements/changes I notice.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Unfortunately, I think with a performance mount (semi-solid or solid), you'll actually get MORE vibration than if you just install a new factory OEM motor mount. My old motor mount went out at around 60k miles. The new one they put in was an updated 987 part number, and smoothed out a lot of vibration issues for me.

Hope I'm wrong though, and that it works out for you. Report back when you've installed it.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #3

I don't think "heavier in your hand" is what you want. The upgraded mount from Suncoast (I think it was listed as a Cayman S mount), is actually lighter than my original due to triangular cutouts.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #4

Garage
There are consistant vibrations which follow the revs of the engine and then there are abberant vibrations that result from metal on metal contact from torquing of the engine as the result of a failing stock motor mount. I am concerned with the latter.

As for heavier in the hand, this is the result of the density of the plastic inserts in the mount, in this case I see it as a good thing, the poly is responsible for overall reduction of harshness, obviously it will be more harsh than stock, that is ok for me. I want as much power as possible getting to the ground, not being lost in twisting the motor in its mounts.

With 325 HP, I don't want to go through this several times to end up at the same point, why not solve the issue once and for all.

In my V8 trail truck I went to solid motor mounts after having to do a trail repair on three out of four mounts. It did increase the harshness only slightly. It is a trade off I am willing to deal with given the peace of mind of not having far worse consequences of an engine displacing itself just when you need it to be where it was designed to be.

Last edited by landrovered; 04-06-2010 at 06:03 AM.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
There are consistant vibrations which follow the revs of the engine and then there are abberant vibrations that result from metal on metal contact from torquing of the engine as the result of a failing stock motor mount. I am concerned with the latter.

As for heavier in the hand, this is the result of the density of the plastic inserts in the mount, in this case I see it as a good thing, the poly is responsible for overall reduction of harshness, obviously it will be more harsh than stock, that is ok for me. I want as much power as possible getting to the ground, not being lost in twisting the motor in its mounts.

With 325 HP, I don't want to go through this several times to end up at the same point, why not solve the issue once and for all.

In my V8 trail truck I went to solid motor mounts after having to do a trail repair on three out of four mounts. It did increase the harshness only slightly. It is a trade off I am willing to deal with given the peace of mind of not having far worse consequences of an engine displacing itself just when you need it to be where it was designed to be.

I didn't calculate the extra hp into the equation, I agree with you. I hope my repair later in the week of the a/o separator ends the noise it has.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #6

I am running a stock mount filled with urethane. So a solid mount basically. It does vibrate more but it feels great. I have a 3.4 so I felt the same way.. Good luck. Its worth the vibration.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #7

It's tax return season and I'm looking to replace my engine mount as well.

What would you guys recommend?
I'm torn between Pedro's Enthusiast and stock 987 mounts.
987 is cheaper (110$ free shipping) Pedro's is ... well it's from Pedro

I use car as daily driver so I'm interested in as low vibrations as possible.
Also if it lasts 60K miles for me it's 8-10 years (I drive 6-8K a year)... and in 10 years my boxster will be a 20Yo car with 140K miles.. I'm sure I'll have bigger problems then Engine mounts..

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
It's tax return season and I'm looking to replace my engine mount as well.

I use car as daily driver so I'm interested in as low vibrations as possible.
Also if it lasts 60K miles for me it's 8-10 years (I drive 6-8K a year)... and in 10 years my boxster will be a 20Yo car with 140K miles.. I'm sure I'll have bigger problems then Engine mounts..

Thanks
Sasha

If this is truly the most important aspect of the repair outcome, IMO you should stay stock.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
pedro's is the same price if you return your old mount to him
Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #10

Pedro's mount is aces, installed mine a few weeks ago and it's like a completely new car (mine was really gone).

I would prefer to support a Boxster enthusiast like Pedro whenever possible. Given the Pedro mount and the 987 mount seems to get similiar reviews, go with Pedro.
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #11

Thanks for all the advices.

I think I'll go with Pedro's mount for several reasons:
1. It's Pedro, mount has really great reviews and DIY guides are awesome, and it's important to support guys that are doing this work
2. Stock mount fails.. it's a known weak link.. I have no guarantee that new mount will hold.... I read stories where they fail in 10k miles
3. If I ever plan to sell the car (I don't think this will happen.. I love it too much) having "Pedro's Enthusiast engine mount" let's people know that car was well cared for.

Thanks
Sasha

PS: 2TrunkSteve did you have trouble downshifting with your broken mount? I have a really hard time downshifting and I'd like to blame it on the mount
Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #12

I could downshift okay. My issue was the dreaded buzzing vibration on the highway......It drove me nuts. For some reason it was hard to operate the clutch smoothly when reversing wihtout chattering. I didn't expect the mount to fix that, I thought maybe I had a clutch starting to go. I was wrong, it fixed a lot of little issues and it drives a whole bunch better.

I would rate the project a 4 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. The only hard part for me was moving the coolant hoses to the side. For some reason I couldn't understand how to undo the plastic clips from the mounts. The pictures on Pedro's site were fine, I just couldn't see it until I did it. Otherwise this was easy.
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #13

easiest mod is to use windshield urethane to stiffen a stock mount. You don't want to use a solid mount with modern engine electronics. You can actually set off your knock sensors which will pull timing and power on the car.
1986 951
http://www.picvault.info/images/537088217_bugsav.jpg
eclou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Sasha, where did you find the 987 mount for $110? The cheapest I have seen is around $160. Thanks!

Gary
Gary Gaukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #15

I just searched shopping section of bing for " boxster engine mount"

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/131-01089411.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=1997-2009+Porsche+Boxster+Engine+Mount+OES+Genuine+97-09+Porsche+Engine+Mount&utm_content=YN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

They have 15% off coupon and free shipping
Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #16

Quote:
2. Stock mount fails.. it's a known weak link.. I have no guarantee that new mount will hold.... I read stories where they fail in 10k miles
It's a moving part just like brakes, suspension. It all depends on how hard you use them before they fail. :ah:
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #17

I disagree a little with the moving part... I never heard of engine mount going bad. I think it's a bad desing.. necessary evil.. maybe.. but definately not the moving part
Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #18

Once you have taken one of these motors out you will realize that the front motor mount gets its a$$ kicked.. It is a moving part. It moves 100% of the time time the car is running, vibration.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #19

Garage
ok so here is the scoop on the Wevo motor mount.

Install: very easy, the poly slides right into the housing and the two side pieces slip right in, you get everything lined up and then tighten the bolts that connect the two inner pieces.

The old mount: it was shot, it was in two pieces and the center fell out after I took the bracket out.

The results: if you want a road car then this mount is not for you. There is a considerable amount of vibration and noise translated through the back of your seat. It is smooth but very noticable. The stiffness of the mount has improved the solid feel of the car and the shifting is more precise than before. The power goes straight to the drivetrain and to the wheels with nothing being lost in the process. The mount changed the character of the car. It feels like a Ferrari or a lamborghini now, there is a caged wild animal and it is right behind you staring at the back of your neck. No need to change the exhaust to get more volume or a deeper sound because when you pull through the revs you can hear and feel the raw power coarsing through the car and you veins. It sounds really good, really good.

Many people will not like this upgrade because it turns your polite boxster into a beast. A bloodthirsty hungry beast that is right behind you.

Me, I absolutely love it, I bought this car because of the big motor and now you cannot ride in it without knowing that this is a very powerful car.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #20

Well, with extra 100hp it's almost garantee you will destroy a new stock mount, so going with a stiffer one is not a bad idea.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote