986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wevo front motor mount (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24330)

eightsandaces 04-10-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
Well, with extra 100hp it's almost garantee you will destroy a new stock mount, so going with a stiffer one is not a bad idea.

Since they discontinued the old style all mounts are Cayman S or so I was told by Suncoast. A Cayman S has more than 100 more horses so I think a stock unit would do just fine.

landrovered 04-10-2010 01:26 PM

I think the Cayman S mount would work but would need to be monitored in my case because the 3.6 does not line up exactly the same as the original 3.4, my front mount was modified with shims by Autometrics, also my rear mounts are not from a boxster they are from a 911. Mine is a special case but what I have learned is that checking the front mount is important as mine was ripped from the housing and just knocking about in the aluminum ring that houses it.

Gary Gaukler 04-12-2010 08:16 AM

Sasha, wanted to thank you for the tip - I ended up buying from The Parts Bin. They had a 10% off coupon and free shipping, so at $115 delivered I thought it was a good deal.

It's the genuine Porsche mount, with the 987 parts number.

Gary

sasha055 04-12-2010 03:52 PM

Gary, can you please post you impressions on how the new 987 mount feels like?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Gaukler
Sasha, wanted to thank you for the tip - I ended up buying from The Parts Bin. They had a 10% off coupon and free shipping, so at $115 delivered I thought it was a good deal.

It's the genuine Porsche mount, with the 987 parts number.

Gary

blue2000s 04-12-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasha055
Gary, can you please post you impressions on how the new 987 mount feels like?

It would take a very very very very ve...(you get the idea) sensitive individual to notice the difference between a good 986 and good 987 motor mount.

Boxtaboy 04-12-2010 05:37 PM

I have the 987 mount. I can't tell a difference in the car except that the vibration that I used to experience when my revs fall to around the 3k rpm range has lessened a lot after it was installed. My 986 mount crapped out after 58k miles.

eightsandaces 04-13-2010 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
It would take a very very very very ve...(you get the idea) sensitive individual to notice the difference between a good 986 and good 987 motor mount.

I know that's right, I'm not sure anyone could discern that. I did notice my new stock mount had a beefier rubber core and a lightened frame featuring triangular cutouts.

sasha055 04-13-2010 11:18 AM

I wanted impressions because.. I don't know how a good engine mount feels:)

I'm comparing everything with 70K miles 2000 boxster that I have.. and I have no history of what was done to the car:)

Thanks
Sasha

blue2000s 04-13-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sasha055
I wanted impressions because.. I don't know how a good engine mount feels:)

I'm comparing everything with 70K miles 2000 boxster that I have.. and I have no history of what was done to the car:)

Thanks
Sasha

I'd check for the normal symptoms that have been noted in other threads (3000RPM vibration, hard to shift, 2nd gear popping, excessive motion of exhaust relative to the bumper). If you're not having problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it makes you nervous, it's only about $120 and an afternoon of effort.

sasha055 04-13-2010 12:42 PM

I do have most of the above:
1. Vibration at 3k RPM.. annoying but I though it's normal until I read here that it's not
2. Very ugly shifting, Downshifting from 2nd to 1st... sometime impossible unless I push it too hard. and it's only when engine at 2-3k RPMs at 1kRPM downshifting is bearable, at 5-6k RPM it's smooth as butter

For 2 month I though these are the perks of owning a sports car.. it's my first:)
Now I'm obsessed with changing mount... as soon as IRS gives me my money back.

It's only 100$ but when you factor that I have to buy a jack, jack stands, wrenches, fuel filter (might as well change it while there) and spark plugs... it adds up:)

Thanks
Sasha

landrovered 04-13-2010 03:03 PM

I have had a few days to drive the car with the Wevo and it has softened up a little bit which is nice since it was very firm on the first test drive. Some interesting observations: my car is now drivable at low rpms, before it just was unpleasant under 3k rpms. Also I used to have this strange harmonic in sixth that kept me from using the gear unless I was doing about 80. I also had some weird vibes in downshifting. All of these issues have disappeared. When I mentioned some of the harmonics and vibes to the PO he attributed then to the SMFW. This fortunately is not the case. I am really enjoying getting to know the car in it's proper state instead of accepting things I did not like as part of the package.

This single repair will end up saving me about $5k in things I won't have to fix noww. Woohoo!