Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #1

Did the 'Raggtopp" treatment today...

As someone who's sewn waterproof/repellent fabrics for lotsa years - I did not like the way my 01's top was acting like a sponge. They're usually three layer'd, so it's not like my toupe was going to get wet, but bird s__t would stain and I simply prefer water running off the back. The first thing I did was mask if off. You can smell the solvent carrier and besides it's easier to prevent a problem than mop one up..

I was going to do the whole 14oz (397g) can, but still have about a third left after three pretty heavy applications. We got up to a whole 65f. today, so I'm not sure it was drying as well as I'd like - I didn't force the issue. I'd not suggest you rush it with a heatgun but perhaps a hairdryer would help a bit - if you don't have anything better to do. Anyway - it seems to work and I'll keep a log to see how long it beads water...

Cheers..

jim

wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #2

I would try to layer the Raggtopp. You know let one coat dry and premeat completely before spraying further.

Also I noticed that when I clean the top with my OXO feathertip brush and the Raggtopp cleanser that it tends to remove the protectant. So you have have to top it off again.

I just sprayed my sunbrella cover with Raggtopp. I use that soft top cover relgiiously. If I know the car is going to sit for more than 8 hours it goes on.
It keeps the windows clean and decreases the dust that collects inside.
I want to protect that top as much as possible, replacing a softop is an entirely preventable expense.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #3

Exclamation RaggTop + Zaino = Glue?

I did a treatment of RaggTop a year or more ago and it is still going strong; I avoid doing anything but rinsing the top if I can help it now. With my first application I was washing the top and it didn't last as long - probably due to being rubbed off. I find the top gets clean with the RaggTop on it with just a strong water spray.

Definitely a wise move to mask off the rest of the car. The can claims it wipes right off, but it didn't do so for me on my paintwork. I use Zaino so it may be an issue of wax (what they tried) vs. Zaino (sticks like glue).
Old 04-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #4

yeah I applied mine in an underground parking garage. I used a piece of carboard (top of shoe box) and sprayed behind the cardoboard. Worked great

Old 04-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
Lux

I've always heard of how great Raggtopp is. But I'm confused about it washing off(?). Isn't it supposed to be a water repellant? If it is washing off, how effective is it during the rainy season?

I've also heard of owners just spraying Scotchgard, which is a repellant/protectant. Any comments on this? My top is only 1 year old but I'd like to start treating it to keep in as new as possible.

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:34 PM   #6

I attended a Porsche club event where one of the VPs for Haartz corp was in attendance. They make the canvas used in the Porsche top and have a factory in Acton, MA so he participates in some of the local events...

I was talking with him about the RaggTop (which he was handing out ) and their interior protectant product (yes, some of this too ) and you should have seen the look on his face when someone mentioned ScotchGard. Needless to say, they don't recommend it. They developed RaggTop specifically to let you get the best factory-like finish on the top fabric at home, and he said they spent a long time trying to get the results it now produces before releasing it and their other product. You can't tell it from a factory-new top IMO.

As far as wearing off, it is a coating - not something that becomes a permanent part of the top (ScotchGard in contrast probably does?), so it will wear off over time. I was just scrubbing too obsessively and taking it off faster than it would just wear over time. A spray rinse really does do the job and it lasts a long time under that care.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
I did a treatment of RaggTop a year or more ago and it is still going strong; I avoid doing anything but rinsing the top if I can help it now. With my first application I was washing the top and it didn't last as long - probably due to being rubbed off. I find the top gets clean with the RaggTop on it with just a strong water spray.

Definitely a wise move to mask off the rest of the car. The can claims it wipes right off, but it didn't do so for me on my paintwork. I use Zaino so it may be an issue of wax (what they tried) vs. Zaino (sticks like glue).
Raggtopp Sealant/conditioner is good stuff, and I use it on my TT's top. My experience with it mirrors donv's - a little lasts a long time, which is why after doing it once a year along with a Tequipment shampoo, I don't need to do anything but rinse the top and towel dry, during regular washes. Also, getting it off really is a PITA if you leave it at all, contrary to what they say. I did some masking the second time I applied it.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #8

As you can see I did it with the official Porsche stuff about 5 years ago.

Said back then I would not do it again. Have not. Waste of time and money.

The top is not a bed sheet or a 20 year old pup tent. It is a synthetic material. It does not leak.

I also have the Scotch Guard stuff from the old days that you cannot buy due to the ozone thing.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:01 AM   #9

Lux: These aerosols are only so good as their binders don't have much grip - don't scrub them, as other's have mentioned.

The real stuff is 'heat set' or laminated. I've got Fluroalky Acrylate Copolymer from Bayer Chem which works great but you need 300deg F. to set the resins. It's not practical to iron a convertible top.

I wouldn't buy Scotchguard because the premium you pay goes toward their jet fleet and they haven't been inovative for two decades. I tell some of my people to buy the $5 can of tent spray in Walmart. It's simple silicone and calms peoples nerves for a couple of hours.

The other use for the shipping tape I used as masking is to make long strips and press onto the top to pull al the lint and schmutz off. I then used an air hose to blow any dust out of the weave. As I was too lazy to use proper making tape - I had to wipe off some adhesive from the trim around the edges...

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #10

by the way if your Raggtopp layer is getting thin you can tell by how long during a downpour does the beading effect last. We had some heavy rain here in New Jersey recently, I mean like monsoon waterfall heavy and the beading quit after about 30 minutes.
Haartz also warn against using any detergents or soaps on your top. Apparently they attract dust which is what you want to avoid getting in the fabric at all costs.
A stiff stream of water during the hot and dry summer months is a great weekly practice. (Renovo for the the plastic window is doing wonders for me)

Here's the brush from OXO (feathertip) I use to clean the top when bird droppings pay their unwelcomed visit. That stuff is toxic rinising off may not get it all off.
I also use this type of brush around the bottom of the car and under the rear and front bumpers, wheels wells etc. It lifts dirt without stripping my wax.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wps-2148.html

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-06-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #11
Lux

Toolpants,

Your car is a daily driver I believe? So have you had any issues with the top fading? I'm not so worried about waterproofing abilities as I am about having a faded top as mine is also a daily driver.

Do any of these products have UV blockers?

-
Old 04-06-2005, 12:58 PM   #12

yep UV protected.

Some people sell the protectant and cleaner in one package. Save you some nickels.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/wps-2141.html
Old 04-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #13
Lux

Check out what I found...
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/303fabcontop.html

This stuff is from 303 (good stuff). The cool thing is that the conditioner/sealant/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is in a spray bottle vs. Raggtopp's aerosol. This might be a bit less messy to apply...? I'm gonna have to give this kit a go.

-
Old 04-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Toolpants,

Your car is a daily driver I believe? So have you had any issues with the top fading? I'm not so worried about waterproofing abilities as I am about having a faded top as mine is also a daily driver.

Do any of these products have UV blockers?

-
The Boxstir is my only car.

UV blockers, making water bead, is stuff that was important and held my interest 6 years ago.

Your top will last as long as the plastic window.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote