Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 AM   #1

Dead Battery-Hood Won't Release

If anyone can help it would be most appreciated. I have a 1999 Boxster that I stored in my garage this winter. The battery went dead so I put a trickle charge on through the lighter. It has been on for 24 hours and the alarm light now comes on and if I turn the key the lights on the dash come on as well. I read that the car can go into sleep mode and I'm not sure how to "wake it up" lol. This has happened to me before and I charged it through the lighter and there was something I had to do with the door lock before the lever would pull up but I can't remember what I did. I tried sliding the plate between the levers with a screwdriver but could not get that to work. I also cannot remove the fuse box cover but read somewhere that that won't work for a '99. My only other option is to have the car towed but the dealership isn't open until Monday and it's warm and sunny here this weekend. Can you feel my pain ?? Thank you

ldydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #2

if your trying to open the front hood you have to take the driverside front wheel off (if you have a LHD car) and take the inner wing plastic lining out, or try to at least loosen it at the front, when you can see under the inner wing liner you have to find a silver metal wire pull, pull this and it will pop the hood and your away!!

Happened to me earlier this year. Get a quality trickle charger that goes on the battery, they save alot of hassle.

This job should take you 1/2 hour approx, there are a few screws under the front bumper too if i remember rightly
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #3

thank you but unfortunately taking the wheel off is not an option for me. I am not mechanically inclined lol. There is charge to the battery now but I just have to figure out how to get the car out of sleep mode.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #4

I had the same problem 3 weeks ago. I borrowed a friends booster pack. He just for some reason had a double ended cigarette lighter adapter sitting brand new in his garage and didnt know where it came from. worked great for me
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #5

Sleep-mode is basically the car no longer responding the the remote to save power. This happens after 5-7 days. To bring the car out of this, simply unlock the car manually with your key and your car should respond to your remote again if nothing else is wrong.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #6

I don't have a remote. I called AAA and they cannot get in the car either. He pulled the fuse panel cover off and I don't have a red fuse.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycool
if your trying to open the front hood you have to take the driverside front wheel off (if you have a LHD car) and take the inner wing plastic lining out, or try to at least loosen it at the front, when you can see under the inner wing liner you have to find a silver metal wire pull, pull this and it will pop the hood and your away!!

Happened to me earlier this year. Get a quality trickle charger that goes on the battery, they save alot of hassle.

This job should take you 1/2 hour approx, there are a few screws under the front bumper too if i remember rightly
I locked my keys in the front trunk (don't ask me how) and i accessed the cable to the front trunk via the drivers side wheel well without taking the wheel off. you have to get under the wheel liner and search for the cable. If i remember correctly you will find an indention in the wheel well liner (at about 2:00 if you think of the wheel as a clock), and the cable is located there. i did it in a parking lot, it's not difficult. Good luck.
Fletch986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #8

is the roof down? how did he take the fuse cover off if he can't unlock the door?

If you unlock the door with the key press the door lock button on the dash, it will be red until you push it but then mine is a UK car so it could be different?

You really should have a button on your key, this is the remote, your battery may be flat in it so check your owners manual to see how to change the battery in your key if this is the problem.
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #9

go to wal-mart or target and buy a black and decker battery pack, the small one that comes with a cigarette lighter attachment. plug it in, turn on the unit and it will feed just enough power to light up the dash and allow you to release the trunk and hood
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #10

Thank you

Thank you Perfectlap and to all who responded. I took your advice, got a battery pack and "voila" I'm in. My baby is purring like a kitten.