Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

Question Front brake pads and rotor replacement

I'm about to replace the front brake pads on my 2001 boxster. However I have read at different sites that if the wear lip on the rotors is about 1mm then the rotors need to be replaced as well. Is this the case or can the rotors be machined flat? Also any suggestions as to any aftermarket pads or rotors as opposed to the OEM parts? I've found a local brake manufacturer here iin Australia that has drilled and slotted rotors for about $570 Australian (about $0.91 US Dollars). Any advice about the front brake set up is welcome.

ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #2

Mic them, and see if they fall under the min thickness for the rotor. If not, you can re-use, assuming they are true. Opinions differ as to whether to surface them or not, though most brake shops won't even try to turn drilled rotors.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #3

You do not turn Porsche rotors at all. I purchased a set of cross drilled Balo's and Mintex pads for under $300 from Pellican Parts. This is a DYI project and is very easy. Also, flush your brakes with new fluid. My 2000 S had 68K on the clock and the rotors looked and felt good. But, when I stopped I had a kind of rubbing feel in the pedal. A set of 10 year rotors lose there smoothness and the rotors become a little brittle from all the friction generated by stopping. Now, there perfect, just a very smooth stop.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #4

+1 This is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
You do not turn Porsche rotors at all. I purchased a set of cross drilled Balo's and Mintex pads for under $300 from Pellican Parts. This is a DYI project and is very easy. Also, flush your brakes with new fluid. My 2000 S had 68K on the clock and the rotors looked and felt good. But, when I stopped I had a kind of rubbing feel in the pedal. A set of 10 year rotors lose there smoothness and the rotors become a little brittle from all the friction generated by stopping. Now, there perfect, just a very smooth stop.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #5

new rotors are so inexpensive why would anyone reuse/ turn them? Look close and you will see little cracks connecting the holes. Is it really worth having bad brakes to save a few $$? At the very least, you will have to get new rotors before your new pads run out so now you have added more work.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #6

Don't forget to replace your caliper bolts when you swap out your rotors.

They must be swapped for new each time you remove them according to Porsche and quite a few others on this forum who've been turning wrenches for a long time.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote