Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

More fun than the Boxster?

I didn't think it was possible until now.

Out of all the cars I've ever driven, this is the most fun. It's just so pure, no radio, no a/c, no heat, no nothing but, the essentials. It's a Beck with a 1914cc, Porsche valve covers and air cleaners. Built in 1990 #177. All of the interior has been covered in aluminum. Only has about 5k miles on it.

Beautiful car and everyone I encounter has the same question, "what is that?" I just tell them it's a 55' Porsche 550 Spyder, I figure they don't know what it is anyway to they'd never be able to tell it was a replica. The other common question is "is that like James Dean's car"?

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #2

That's gorgeous. I could never build one though. I'd have to put an LS1 (or at least a Porsche six cylinder) in it.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #3

Finally got a chance to sit in a Beck last summer. Getting in & out is a bit a of challenge for taller folks. Would still like to drive one.
jlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

There is one here in SE NC with a Boxster engine. Sadly the female owner or rep did not want to talk to a PCA member about it.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #5

I'm 6'4", there's a method to get in and out. Once in, surprisingly it has ample room for my long legs. The "tunnel" is very roomy.

I've got about 130hp, I really don't know why you'd want more. It accelerates like a cheetah and going over 80mph is sketch being it weighs only 1300lbs. I've looked at a Polo 4 but, I don't think this car warrants it.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #6

i think i'd swap a boxster for it! beautiful!!! i think a large engine would spoil it myself, take it to a track and try to DRIVE your times down, it will be fast enough to give you a buzz then when you find the cars limit and your limit you'll have the satisfaction of mastering it. thanx for sharing
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:57 AM   #7

My brother in law had one for around three years...I drove it quite often since he lives in the area. His was delivered in "hillclimb form", sporting a 1.8 ltr turbocharged engine built by CB Performance, that put out something like 180-200 hp depending on where the boost was set. First time I drove it, I thought is was squirrely and not very fast; until I realized all I had done was spin the skinny rear tires for around 30 yards!

That engine blew a rod (right through the case) after numerous track days at Blackhawk Farms and Road America. Speaking of RA, the car was quite scary to drive at high speeds due to the light weight and front end lift. Going down the front straight, you basically had no steering since the front tires were almost off the ground!

The engine was then replaced with a normally aspirated 1.8 and was much more pleasant to drive. He sold it to buy an early 911 that was more trackable and accepted in a greater number of PCA events.

As for an around town, have fun on the two lane roads, it was a tremendous car and a blast to drive. We still see Chuck Beck every summer up at the Road America vintage event, where he brings some of his creations (including the Beck 904).

This example pictured looks like a sweet ride and tons of fun on the cheap!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 04-03-2010 at 06:01 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #8

Gorgeous car. Pretty light I would think so it must move along nicely, even with the VW engine.

Good stuff.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote